Coopers Community

Dark Ale Recipe from the website using Pale Ale Kit

Trusty1

Morning all,

The recipe in the 'how to brew' section calls for 750ml of DMX and 200gms of sugar for the dark ale made with Pale Ale Kit. I have some dry dark malt at my disposal. Any ideas on how much of the dry stuff I should be using to get the same results as if using the recipe? Anything else that I might add (or reduce/eliminate) to enhance the end result, remembering I enjoy all beers but particularly dark stuff.

Thanks

Trusty

The kit yeast will make a nice beer while the Coopers commercial ale culture will throw easters*, combining with the dark malts to make something closer to the real thing.

*esters

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun, forgive me...

Sorry for hi-jacking this post, but I'll be right RR!

Trusty, go for the yeast culture, have you tried steeping grains?

I reckon 250g of chocolate malt steeped and added to the boil would go down a treat. (You'll get a nice fresh grainy/roasty flavour)

I just roll the grain in a zip-lock bag with a rolling pin until it's cracked open and put it in a big coffee plunger jug and fill it with about 70deg C water and let it sit for about 20 mins.

Then I push down the plunger and pour the liquid into a big saucepan. Then I re-wet the grain in the jug with hot water straight from the tap and repeat until I get about 3lts of wort in the pan.

I then add the dry malt,extra hops and boil it for about 10 mins and stir in the kit when I turn off the flame.

Cool it down in the sink with the lid on and you'll be sweet!

Cheers Luke - does sound yummy. I was considering a dark ale next and looking to try steeping some grains to add to the HB learning curve.

Do you drop any of the other fermentables from the recipe above? What type/how much hops would you add to this one?

Archived