Coopers Community

Barons...Lemon Myrtle Wit Beer

Motley Brue

Never heard of that one Motley but I can still guarantee it would be better than Fosters (I'm not even sure if you can get Fosters in Australia - I guess you can somewhere???).

I don't know much about Myrtle but I suspect the flavour comes from the leaf rather than from a fruit.

This a a delightful Wit!! I must admit that I'm a bit of lemon myrtle fan...we buy Tasmanian made Lemon Myrtle dressing on-line, 5 or more bottles at a time!

I'm speculating that Lemon Myrtle may be related to the eucalypt?? The aroma/flavour comes from the leaves.

I have plans to experiment with brew recipes using lemon myrtle once I see it more readily available for sale.

I believe its brewed in Sydney, and yes the lemon myrtle is from the leaves ( I read the bottle). Yes PB, I agree, a great summer throwdown. They use lemon and orange peel and sometimes coriander in the wit/wheat beer microbreweries here. Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada make some good ones. Wheats are becoming very popular here in Florida. Guess the heat makes it a good all year brew.

And yes Muddy...they sell Fosters here. Some 6 packs and the big cans...blue ones and green ones. I'm not impressed with them either. Here's some of the commercials they run here. Funny commercial, lousy beer,eh?

If you like lemons here is a good lemony Canadian Blonde kit recipe made up to kit specs. After one week fermentation add:

+zest only from two lemons(the alcohol helps extract the flavor)

+optional: strained tea liquid only(no seeds) made from 10g crushed lemony, green, indian coriander(do not use the soapy, brown,round type).

+ferment for an additional week or two to extract the lemon flavor.

Turned out great, the lemon flavor fades with aging and get requests to make more. Hard time finding wheat kits here so just used what was available.

Archived