Coopers Community

Buxom Blonde

Hi Guys

Just put down a Buxom Blone (Thanks Coopers for the recipe) using BE2 and 500g Light Dry. OG reading was 1074 this seemed to me to be quite high. Is this anywhere near what you would expect or has my sediment reducer held onto some extra malt and given me a false high reading.

Thanks for your help guys

Steve

Steve - It's possible that you might be experiencing a conccentration gradient in your fermenter. I get that from time to time when I don't mix my extract in properly; it ends up being concentrated at the bottom.

One thing I can suggest is next time you think you have too high an original SG reading, sanitise a jug or ladle and take a reading from the top few litres of the brew. If these two readings are different then your extract isn't fully dissolved throughout the wort.

Of course, be careful with your hygiene when taking a reading from the top of the fermenter. It shouldn't matter too much since the fermenter is primarily open at this stage anyway, but it's still not as safe as taking a reading from the tap.

As for the blonde.. I thought today that I'd like to do a Black & Tan using a tin of stout and a tin of blonde in two different fermenters and mixing before bottling. I'll call it a Big-Titted Brunette.

I simmer all my ingredients for about 20 minutes to get rid of any nasties, before adding to cold water already in the fermenter, then I top it up to 23 litres. This way you will get a better reading as it will mix better.

Regards, Peter.

"Don't waste time keep drinking" :lol:

Archived