Coopers Community

Does anyone know how to make beer thick like GUINNESS?

c43284

Thats right, i'm a massive fan of black beer and i've made a stout 2 months ago with only 20litres and its all gone. i've got a lager in the fride and a aussie pale ready to bottle but i would love to try and make something thick and creamy like guinness.

please can anyone help?

the lager was my first i did that 3months ago so i'm only new to it all and very keen to experiment

The Guinness on tap in Australia and in the 440ml can is, in fact, not very thick. Colour is 121ECB (our commercial Stout is around 200EBC), Bitterness is 33.8 IBU (our Original Series Stout when fermented is around 44.4IBU), and the SG is 1.7P (1.007).

I think it is the use of Nitrogen that gives the impression of THICKNESS.

Meantime watch this space for the new release of the Brewmaster Selection - I'm very happy with the final products - the release date is scheduled for February (not sure exactly what date).

Message board readers will be the first to know!!

... and to answer what was probably going to be the next question, you can only achieve the same level of creaminess at home if you keg your beer and use nitrogen (instead of the usual carbon dioxide) to pour your beers.

It's just not possible with bottling.

But as I rate Guinness fairly lowly on my list of beers (controversial, I know!), it doesn't bother me that I can't do it at home.

I like a real stout, like a Cooper's or a homebrew :D

I have just moved from my home town where I was keging, (now on bottles) and we had an adaptor or diffuser that screwed on to the end of the tap and would make our stout pour exactly like a Gunniess at the pub! Tasted creamy, and had a creamy head all the way down, we only used co2. Mabe nitrogen would have been better dunno. Mabe someone might know where to get one of these? We got ours from a friend who used to work at a pub.

I found a web page http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?category_id=2293&keyword=&x=1&y=1

If you look at the Guinness tap page it says

You can use a stout faucet with your existing CO2 system and get about 80% of the "Guinness" effect. If you want the full effect you will need to have a beer gas mix system which is based on using a mix of 75% Nitrogen and 25% CO2

These taps are almost the same thing, but ours were little black things about the size of the end of your thumb that screwed on to the end of the tap. My mate says they called them creamers, they work good the beer tastes creamy but mabe a little flat. Hope that helps.

You can use a stout faucet with your existing CO2 system and get about 80% of the "Guinness" effect. If you want the full effect you will need to have a beer gas mix system which is based on using a mix of 75% Nitrogen and 25% CO2

Bizarre: You can get 80% of the Guinness effect with 100% CO2 but if you want 100% Guinness effect you need 25% CO2.

Isn't physics wonderful :D

i was dooing a bit of looking around on the net the other day for keg systems and i found one of those nozzeles wort was talking about, they called it an "airater for a guinness tap" it was $28 but i dont rember the name of the site.

Archived