Coopers Community

is this going to be alright????

Beergut

howdy, i'm a newbie to this here brewin'. I put my first brew down on 1/01/05. It bubbled for 3 days then stopped and hasn't bubbled since. Temps been around the 24-27 degrees over this time. I tested it after day 6 and had a reading 0f 1012. 2 days later it read 1018??? is this normal or should I bottle it or just start over again. The brew is canadian blond (unsure if that makes a difference_ A mate who has been making his own for ages thinks it should be ok.

Any advice for the new kid on the block

thanks

beergut 8)

PS: How do I actually join this board or is this all you have to do??

G'day Beergut,

Welcome to our website!! You have done all you need to do to be a member of this Message Board.

As for your brew...once you get two SG readings the same over a two day period you can be confident that your brew has finished fermenting.

The process of fermentation should make the brew decrease in density as fermentable sugars are consumed and alcohol is produced. Either the first or second reading is incorrect...it is not likely for you to get an inaccurate reading on the low side...so we can assume that the first reading of 1012 is correct. Your second reading of 1018 may be as a result of drawing yeast sediment into the measuring flask, too many bubbles clinging to the hydrometer or not enough beer in the flask to make the hydrometer float.

Take another reading and see what you get.

In any case, it should be brewed out by now!!

Beergut,

To avoid the problem of bubbles clinging to the hydrometer, thus giving a false reading, give the hydrometer a spin.

Also, while 24C-27C is within the recommended range, I'm sure many on this board would suggest that keeping it closer to 20C will result in a better beer with cleaner flavours.

Archived