Coopers Community

Sluggish Head

Bratwurst

I've made about 6 brews now and they have all had a similar problem - weak head. I have to pour them rather vigorously to achieve a decent head and then it just fizzes away fairly quickly. I was using Brewing Sugar at the beginning then changed to Brew Enhancer 1, but the weak heads remained. I am sure that I don't bottle too soon. I make sure I have achieved FG then wait another day or 2. I never open a bottle until it has spent at least 2 weeks on the shelf. I use Coopers Carbonation Drops in the prescribed dosage. I keep my bottles clean and always sterilize with boiling water before bottling. My glasses seem to be alright as the commercial brews always keep a good head. The beer always tastes like good beers should - I just can't achieve a good frothy head.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

I have the same problem, Not enough Head( all right keep it clean). I can get it when pouring at first, and in the bottle it stays, but when in the glass it fades away.

I do this, Just drink it and it goes away...........

Regards

Jon

Try leaving your beer a bit longer before drinking as the head retention should improve with age. Make sure your glass is clean and never washed in detergents. If you still have trouble drop into your glass a very small piece of sterilised house brick and a head will form everytime.

Good luck and merry xmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol...who needs the head anyway, it's just wasteage. I have never ever been able to brew a home brew that has kept its head all the way down to the bottom like that nasty commercial stuff, but who cares. It's still got bubbles and still beats the taste of most of the commercial stuff. Oh and did I forget to mention the lack of hangovers because of the absence of preservatives? Mind you, I wish my Kilkenny clone would have the creamy head like the real stuff..then my guests wouldn't bother saying "Hey this beer tastes like Kilkenny" :lol:

Archived