Coopers Community

Raspberry Ale

Muleyinoz

There is brew pub in the Pacific NW that makes a raspberry ale and the wife has asked me to try to make her some. Aside from the obvious reasons I must comply, she is also the one that bought me my first fermenter resulting in the downstairs bath, laundry, garage, most of our refrigerator space, the garage, and sometimes the kitchen converted to a brewery.

That aside I was thinking,

1 can Coopers Cerveza

1.5 kg LDM

500G CaraRed

30G Cascade @ 20

NW ale yeast

in 27 ltrs

1 kg frozen raspberries added to the secondary.

The results pre-raspberry should be IBU 21.6 EBC 10.5 ABV 4.6%

There is a method to my madness, I don't want 23 ltrs of horrible fruit beer so, 27 ltrs, rack about 8 to seconday and add fruit as most suggest, finish the remainder as usual and bottle her's for a tasting. I might add her fav. beer is Guinness so not looking to make berry water but she thinks my APAs are too bitter.

Any comments RE this plan or fruit beer in general are welcome and your input may help me get that brew fridge and urn for my birthday![wink]

It looks like the Ruby Ale is a simple low mashed single malt beer with raspberry pur\xe9e added. The FG is 1005 so it is quite dry.

Maybe you could cut back a little on the malt and replace it with dextrose.

I used the Northwest ale yeast in a recent batch of AG pale ale. It's a nice yeast.

Thanks for pointing that out mate. Old geezers can still learn. I have been amazed at the difference in taste a bit of Dex vs Malt makes. Forgot to add this is my first partial, maybe a bit ambitious but like the old stockman's saying says; Two-legged fools rush in where four-legged angels fear to tread.

Archived