Coopers Community

final FG of 15 ... what is FG anyways !

Polarian

So Coopers explains it ofcourse but i reckon you guys can explain it WAY better to me hehe

for example i brewed a coopers stout with BE 1 and BE 2 ( im changing my sugar mux thanks to you guys btw )

I brewed it for 14 days and it didnt go over 30 ( i now aim to keep my brews at no hotter than 24 btw )

i bottled the mix and hydrometer read 1015 .. or FG of 15 that means ?

basically what i mean is whats a good FG ? like when i did my coopers lager in a standard coopers 1kg brew sugar and only brewed for 6 days ( but yeah it was averaging 30c ouch ! ) the FG of that mix ended up as like 11 or 1011

What FG do you guys aim for ?

thanks again guys i have learnt so much from you all !

try this

Very basically, yeast ferments sugar (turns it into alcohol) Some sugars and malts ferment fully, while some sugars will only partially ferment or not ferment at all. For example, dextrose fully ferments and maltodextrine will not ferment at all. Both are important in that dex adds to the alcohol content, but maltodex adds body. With no unforentable sugars at all, beer would have no body or mouthfeel and would not be satistying to drink at all.

OG is the gravity, or the thickness of the unfermented beer and FG is the whats left after fermantation when most of the sugar has been turned into alcohol.

The link explains things better than me and also has a table with the standard FG's of the different beers styles. Lighter beer such as lager have low FG's, but stouts and porters have much higher FG's beause of the different suga and malts....thats why stout is often regarded as like a steak and eggs in glass. others will probably offer other aswers to your question, as brewing is quite complex, but i hope my answer helps you a little.

Have a go at putting different sugars into the program and also experiment with different quantities...you will get the hang of it.

Nick.

FG stands Final Gravity.

I always aim for the target FG for the recipe.

The recipe will affect the FG.

Different yeast have different attenuation ratings. For example American Ale yeast 1056 has an attenuation of 73-77% while a European Ale yeast like 1338 has an attenuation of 67-71%.

You can calculate the expected FG range by using the OG and Attenuation rate figures.

The ingredients will affect the FG.

Mash temperature will also affect the amount of un-fermentable sugars in the wort and and hence the FG.

Lets not forget also the health of the yeast as if they are not happy then they might go on strike before the job is completed.

Archived