Coopers Community

LME Age

AaronH7

Just got a few cans of coopers wheat extract and happened to look at the date on the bottom. the date on one is October 2011 and the other is October 2010. I assume this is the date it was produced and not the use by date, right?

Anyone know how long lme lasts from when they come out of the factory? I've done a search but the few answers vary wildly. they seem pretty old to me and I don't want to waste my time if my beer is going taste bad. (time of posting february 2013)

Hey Aaron, that Wheat extract would be stressing one side of the BEER triangle (see my sig block)!

Liquid malt extract changes with time, darkening and developing toffee, stewed fruit like characters, which carry over to the finished brew and do not dissipate with time in the bottle.

This ageing process is accelerated with higher temps.

That said, some brewers are happy to use aged product with intentionally darker brews, such as porter, stout, dunkelweizen, etc.

Personally, I would chuck them & get some fresh cans. That is unless you are looking for a metallic taste in your beer.

I wouldn't like waiting 3 months to find you have made a "less than enjoyable" beer if you have the opportunity to avoid the situation in the first place.

Let us know how you go with your hefeweizen. I wouldn't mind trying one myself.

Archived