Coopers Community

Making a starter for a dex heavy recipe

Lotm

Here's the deal...

Doing a ginger beer that calls for a kilo of dex. Have 7g of hydrated (1st gen) US-05 in the fridge. Haven't checked Mr Malty yet but I will. If I was to make a starter, would I make it with dex or DME?

Thanks chaps

I can't say if it is indeed a FACT but I heard it somewhere that the yeasties are essentially trained in the starter to what they're chomping on in the real beer. For example, my Gluten Free beer was Sorghum and Honey - I made my starter from honey, so I was advised that wouldn't be a good yeast to re-use on a "normal" beer.

I have no idea if there's any truth to it.

So maybe it's good to make the started from a similar % of the fermentables? I'm sure Yeast Daddy would know the answer [crying]

A very good question Scott but I do not think you will get a definitive answer on this one.

If the starter was for a malt based brew then clearly the preferred medium for your starter should be DME.

I suspect that even though the yeast will be introduced to a simple sugar based liquid they will not perform worse for having been grown in a DME starter. They will still go for the simple sugar with gusto.

My understanding is that US 05 dry yeast is in fact grown in a dextrose medium in the lab.

If it were me I would be using DME for the starter.

I suspect that even though the yeast will be introduced to a simple sugar based liquid they will not perform worse for having been grown in a DME starter. They will still go for the simple sugar with gusto.

Spot on!

Archived