Coopers Community

EMERGENCY

anthony

hoegarden is ready, been sitting at 1010 for 3 days now

can some one give me a crash course on how to keg please ?

im bottling a 6 pack at the moment, then sanatising the keg, need to get this done by tonight so i can enjoy my first "proper beer" by the weekend [devil]

You might have some luck on the aussiehomebrewer forums.

There was a 'guide to kegging' article on there, but the forum has just had an upgrade so it might not be up. Worth having a look though

Otherwise there will no doubt be tutorials on youtube.

Sounds ok to me. Although I wouldn't listen to me, I don't own a keg setup!!

I just checked on youtube, there are STACKS of kegging videos on there. Good ol youtube. There are tutorials for every hobby you've heard of on there (and plenty you haven't).

Clean the keg (inside the dip tubes too!)

Sanitize the keg

Hook up co2 to keg and let gas fill it

Sanitize a length of tubing that fits in/around your fermenter tap

Put fermenter on bench, keg on floor

purge excess c02 from keg, take off lid (take note of cloudy gas inside, this will help prevent oxidisation from splashing)

Stick transfer hose all the way to bottom of keg, fit other side to fermenter.

Open tap and let the beer flow! (till it's just under the gas tube)

Fit lid and hook up co2, purge co2 twice to get excess oxygen out.

Get your handy dandy squeezee bottle of sanitiser and spray the lid/posts to check for leaks.

Enjoy.

That may not be the ultimate way but it's how I do it. If you wish to naturally carbonate to save gas, boil say 50g of dextrose or table sugar in say 100ml of water. let it cool, then dump that in the bottom of the keg before you gas it before you transfer. Left in warm conditions it should be done in a couple weeks.

Clean the keg (inside the dip tubes too!)

Sanitize the keg

Hook up co2 to keg and let gas fill itThat may not be the ultimate way but it's how I do it. If you wish to naturally carbonate to save gas,

Pretty much the way do it, although I haven't yet figured out how to clean the dip tube apart from running heaps of brew clean through it under pressure. I only give the keg a short blast of CO2 before filling, but yes it is cloudy in the bottom.

From what I've read elsewhere, and I know you have to be careful we can all read stuff on the net, it is the secondary ferment (ie natural carbing that induces the 3 month till its perfect scenario.

I naturally carbed my first keg, it wasn't great, and I will never do it again, connect it to the gas with the temp & pressure set as per a carbing chart. If your balance is right after a few weeks you can just pour without adjusting the reg.

Keg away Anthony.

Hmm that's interesting and definitely something I'd never considered. Might have to try a little side by side comparison. Naturally carbonated Vs Force carbonated. Though that said with my setup I have 3-5 kegs outside the fridge in the beer queue so they all get aged a bit anyway.

Great thanks for the advise,

im all kegged up at 25psi and going to wait till Friday night to drop it to 10-12psi and pop my keg cherry (might wear something pretty for the occasion[love] )

i didn't blast the keg prior to filling but will definitely do that next time.

cheers

I follow most of this. After sealing the chilled beer in the keg turn it upside down, turn the CO2 to 40psi while rocking the keg for 1 minute until it stops bubbling, turn upright, turn off the CO2 bottle and rock the keg another couple minutes till it drops to about serving pressure. Reset the regulator and it's close enough for government work. Best to let sit over night but who can resist.

Archived