Coopers Community

Brass fitting in FV

Nick

The FV i have made has a brass nut securing the plastic tap.

The nut is inside the Fv and i was going to chase up a nylon one if brass is not recommended. Will brass have any effect on fermentaion? lots of plumbing components are brass.

Copper, zinc and possibly a small amount of lead. Only a small amount of surface area so you should be right.

Heaps of people blaming copper for there health problems and others saying zinc puts lead in your pencil.

Seems some trumpeters had allergic reaction to the brass mouthpieces.

I would probably change the nut but I am one of those paranoid people who would not use aluminium for cooking.

• 4 weeks later...

I hear that AD, years ago as a drywall/gyprock finisher we used tools with aluminum pole handles. When your hands got wet they turned black. Haven't cooked in aluminum since. I doubt the small bit of brass is a worry but the acid in starsan could react with it. I'd change it someday when you're cleaning it.

pickling recipes for bras on the net.

But.... like I said I only heard it and never used it myself.

I did this once, she was effing livid

LOL reminds me of a guy I used to work with, when his wife asked him to do anything he'd stuff it up so she'd do it herself next time. I never had nerve enough to spill bleach on the clothes as he suggested. If I pickled the wife's bras y'all wouldn't be hearing from me for a while. [devil]

I dunno man. [unsure]

My wife is pretty damn handy with her chemistry, so I usually rely on her to tell me when something is dangerous or when something is bulls**t.

I've read her the pickling section of 'how to brew' before when I was attempting to convince her that I was perfectly safe using the FAR cheaper option of brass fittings for my kettle.

Her response was that mixing vinegar with hydrogen peroxide would produce something which would have very little effect on anything as the two sort of cancel each other out. Don't know how correct she is, but she has been studying this stuff for years.

Anyhow, long story short, I had to buy stainless fittings because my wife didn't want me dying of lead poisoning. [pinched]

Archived