Coopers Community

Smoekd beer short time brewer

CEO

G'Day All

This is my first post, I have only been brewing since Chrissy.

Onto my 4 batch now.

1st Larger, came with kit, as per instructions.

2nd Pale Ale, as per instructions.

3rd Pale Ale, recultured yeast from 4 bottles of pale ale.

4th Mexican Cervesa, rehydrated yeast, Still in FV.

Firstly Gotta say thanks to all the info I have been able to dig up from this site, very much apreciated. Untill now all my questions have been answerd via research.

However now, I have one tin of Pale ale extract sitting waiting to go to work for me, and I want to play a little bit.

I am thinking or doing a lightly smoked beer, I smoke all my own meat & sausages, love the stuff.

I have a fridge set up with temp controll, again quality info & recomendation dug up from this site (Cheers).

Can anyone give me a reletivly simple recipe that would include my tin of CPA or maby another more suitable Coopers extract?

I was thinking of getting maby 1/2 or 1 KG of Weyermann smoked malt and steeping prior to adding to Wort (any ideas? is this good or bad? and maby how best to do this? I havnt steeped yet.)

I want to allso have a play with hops, any ideas as to a good hop to add to this idea for flavour, I dont want anything too bitter, more after flavour and to have a go at hopping an extract.

Looking forward to any ideas, techniques, additions, yeast types, all very much apreciated.

Cheers in advance. [cool]

Kym

Welcome to the forum Kym!

I have never made a smoked beer before but can offer a couple of points:

1. The smoked malt will need to be mashed. It is basically the same as steeping but you will need to keep a constant temp of around 65-66 degrees for an hour.

2. I would go with a noble hop like Hallertau. You want something that isn't goint to overpower the malt.

If you haven't done so, do a search for Rauchbier recipes. This may give you a few more pointers.

You smoke your own food?

Why not smoke your own steeping grains?? I would be very interested in hearing about that, just use 2-300g of Crystal

Crush the grain first, soak the bag then stick the grain bag in the smoker for a couple of hours [cool]

Hey buddy, it was a blast, drank a shoot load of warm beers [bandit]

My pick of the bunch was Cumberland ale on cask, I prefered it a lot more side by side to cask pulled Hobgoblin which is hugely popular at the minute (go figure)

G'Day All

This is my first post, I have only been brewing since Chrissy.

Onto my 4 batch now.

1st Larger, came with kit, as per instructions.

2nd Pale Ale, as per instructions.

3rd Pale Ale, recultured yeast from 4 bottles of pale ale.

4th Mexican Cervesa, rehydrated yeast, Still in FV.

I am thinking or doing a lightly smoked beer, I smoke all my own meat & sausages, love the stuff.

I have a fridge set up with temp controll, again quality info & recomendation dug up from this site (Cheers).

I was thinking of getting maby 1/2 or 1 KG of Weyermann smoked malt and steeping prior to adding to Wort (any ideas? is this good or bad? and maby how best to do this? I havnt steeped yet.)

I want to allso have a play with hops, any ideas as to a good hop to add to this idea for flavour, I dont want anything too bitter, more after flavour and to have a go at hopping an extract.

Looking forward to any ideas, techniques, additions, yeast types, all very much apreciated.

Cheers in advance. [cool]

Kym

Welcome Kym

Man you are the new King we have been looking for. 4 brews under belt since starting at Xmas including reculturing and ready to smoke your next beer. I stand in awe.

Wonder if anyone here can recommend smoking hop flowers?

Yeh looks like it (Jennings)

Nice link.

Whilst Ive been away Ive been watching a program called man v food, an American visting cafe's and restaurants which include a lot of BBQ pits and smoke houses.

Ive had the idea of a smoker build in my head and this thread is reinforcing that project [cool]

Welcome to the forum Kym!

I have never made a smoked beer before but can offer a couple of points:

1. The smoked malt will need to be mashed. It is basically the same as steeping but you will need to keep a constant temp of around 65-66 degrees for an hour.

2. I would go with a noble hop like Hallertau. You want something that isn't goint to overpower the malt.

If you haven't done so, do a search for Rauchbier recipes. This may give you a few more pointers.

Hairy, how much of the Hallertau would you recomend? And what times would you say would be best?

Actually, if you are using the pale ale kit you may not need to add hops at all.

It isn't the style of beer where you want flavour and aroma hops. The hops are usually added for bitterness and you will get that from the kit.

Here is a link to a heap of recipes. Have a look at the partial mash and the extract with grains recipes.

Hopville - Rauchbier Recipes

Find one that you like and we should be able to convert it to a kit with grains recipe.

You smoke your own food?

Why not smoke your own steeping grains?? I would be very interested in hearing about that, just use 2-300g of Crystal

Crush the grain first, soak the bag then stick the grain bag in the smoker for a couple of hours [cool]

Yep I recon I might go with that idea. I wasnt to sure exactly how to go about it, but the link Hairy added has fueld my knowledge and ignighted my imagination.

I recon I can knock up a mesh cylinder on a small rotiserie and cold smoke some grain. MMMMmmmmmm my mouth is watering

Im away working in Kurdistan right now, with the help of you guys, I want to plan this one out and be prepared to create my first custom brew on my return home. Cheers again all.

Once I have bottled my Mexican that is.

Archived