Coopers Community

Rinsing yeast. Only 2 layers???

PhilboBaggins

Hey all. I've rinsed my trub twice before with great success, both times it was Coopers commercial ale yeast. Yesterday I tried some US-05, and to my surprise, I'm only getting two distinct layers between 10-30min (and indeed longer) of settling at room temp.

I'd be happy to be told that EVERYTHING I have in my jars is YEAST, but that's wishful thinking to say the least. [pinched]

There's grainy stuff all through the second half of the jar, and no milky yeasty stuff at all. Has anyone else had this happen before?

Figured as much. I've been MENTAL with my sanitation, and the jars are well sealed. Not too concerned about leaving them out for the rest of the day and having another crack tonight.

I gotta say, this is some wicked fun [happy]. I thought nothing else would be as interesting as mash brewing, but playing with yeast might just be about to take 1st place.

Boomshanker - MTSOYLBFITBOYW

[lol] it is, in it's own right 'it's own hobby'

teaches you patience too as usually the process is over a few days and cant really be rushed.. especially if you dont have enough sterile water on hand [roll]

[ninja]

I've got a separate storage container now for all my yeast stuff. [lol]

Collecting masonry jars and have a couple 2L flagons for making big starters. Been reading loads of Wolfy's posts over on AHB, along with any other information I can get my hands on. I think this is actually the first time I've had to ask for help, as there is SO MUCH INFO out there.

*hint

collect in V8 jar from the FV (thick) (as you do)

Pour into 2lt type "jug" (1/3 - 1/2 of the V8)

Leave the normal time and collect to large mason jar

the mistake I was making was that my 'rinsing to' jars were too small.. get bigger jars for all of the processes [rightful]

Chors

No worries bud, was already thinking the same thing. After tipping between jars and splitting the mix several times for dilution I figured there must be an easier way.

I know a lot of you are probably thinking, "US-05 is like $5.00 a sachet, why bother?"

The answer is, I love messing around with s**t! [lol]

Plus, when I get to be an old hand at it, there are all kinds of expensive yeasts which will all of a sudden be FAR less expensive.

Bring it on!

Great to read this. I had the same problem as Philbo. Only 2 layers. I was feeling mental too. I put it down to to much crap at the bottom of the FV as I am really bad (and unfortunately still am) at siphoning clear wort from the boiler to the FV. Way too much grain debris. It seems be easier with extracts, but with partials, no dice. More water. Thanks Yob. [happy]

Funny you should say that Scott. This particular brew was my first using whole flowers. About half way down the kettle they blocked the siphon, so after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I ended up disturbing loads of the trub in order to get the siphon started again. It was a disaster, and I ended up with way too much crap in the cube.

We live and learn.

I know a lot of you are probably thinking, "US-05 is like $5.00 a sachet, why bother?"

The answer is, I love messing around with s**t! [lol]

Plus, when I get to be an old hand at it, there are all kinds of expensive yeasts which will all of a sudden be FAR less expensive.

Bring it on!

Yes PB yeast ranching is a lot of fun.

I found the simplest way to get nice clean yeast is to not use the yeast cake from the brew but rather to think ahead and make larger than required starter from the newly purchased yeast and use the extra to rinse for future use as breeding stock.

Maybe it is my crappy starter wort creation but I find that when it is newly made there is some darker DME residue in it that settles in the fridge or freezer and I can avoid putting it in the Erlenmyer.

This is what mine look like.

rinsedkolsch.jpg

Hi John.

Can you please explain your "Larger Starter" process a little more in depth, as to help understand the process & the time-frames involved in stepping up your base of yeast, & also the point where you are happy to split & retain a set volume to repeat the process at a future date.

I personally am very interested in this process. [cool]

Anthony.

Hi Anthony

My process is quite simple really. If for argument sake I need a 1L starter according to YeastCalc and MrMalty then I will make a larger one of say 1.5L or 2.0L.

When it is finished I simply pour off the excess 0.5L or 1.0L into 500ml jar or jars and rinse as normal. The required amount(balance of the starter) would then go into the FV for the brew in progress.

I then give the saved yeast a rinse and store under RO water which is what the picture is showing. If it has been hanging around in the fridge for about 3+ months then I will reactivate it in a starter and repeat the process.

Hope this is not confusing.

Thanks for the quick reply John. [happy]

As far as yeast knowledge & understanding goes, I'm a 'Noob', John.

I'm a dry yeast pitcher primarily & have used a couple of the smack pack liquid yeasts. I've successfully re-cultivated Coopers Commercial Ale yeast on both occasions without any hiccups due to PB2's instructions making that almost idiot-proof. [biggrin]

I understand the process of liquid starters & gathering yeast from slurry, but not the process of effectively stepping them up to certain levels, where pitching & storing volumes can be accurately measured & controlled for re-use.

It is this area I would appreciate some clarity & factual information on.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived