Coopers Community

Shipwreck IPA

Hi guys.

I bottled Canadian Eh!L's "Big Island IPA" earlier today. I had capped about half a dozen & then thought a picture from inside the FV might make for an interesting one to post on the forum for you guys to have a look at.

So here it is...

Shipwreck_IPA.jpg

It looks very appetizing doesn't it?! [tongue] [pinched] [sick]

There's bits of hop matter, yeast, the dry hop bags, oak wood chips everywhere....& I think there were a couple of dead sailors down the bottom there somewhere as well! [lol]

All I know is, I wasn't sticking my hand in there, because you have to be wary of the "Noah's"!! [rightful] [wink] [lol]

Funniest thing happened (Well not that funny at the time! [annoyed] ), I was down to about my last half dozen or so stubbies to bottle, when a @#$%ing oak wood chip got jammed in the tap spout while I was filling a stubby. It locked the @#$%ing tap in the open position & I couldn't turn it off & ending up pouring brew over the floor until my brain clicked into gear & tilted the damn thing back which dislodged the oak chip so I could turn the damn tap off!! [lol] I only lost about 80-100mls though.

Damn oak wood chips!! [pinched]

I didn't have time to go through the bulk priming route, so just individually primed each bottle. I wanted to get Scottie's "Styx River Pale Ale" into an FV, as it was too hot last weekend & I couldn't be bothered brewing.

Happy to say that brew is now in the brew fridge. [biggrin]

I was just slinging off about Chad's IPA. It smelled really nice & the oak wood chips gave a subtle aroma that I could just pick up on when I was bottling it. I'm looking forward to a sampler in a few weeks. Cheers for sharing the recipe Skookum! [happy]

Scottie's Pale Ale also smelled really nice & I'm also looking forward to a few of those down the track. [cool]

A day in the Beerlust Brewhouse. [biggrin]

P.S. Scottie, what was the "sister" recipe you did of the Styx river pale ale, that was extract based? I'm interested to see why you like the APA kit one better. [innocent]

Anthony.

P.S. Scottie' date=' what was the "sister" recipe you did of the Styx river pale ale, that was extract based? I'm interested to see why you like the APA kit one better. [innocent']

Anthony.

I love the name Shipwreck Pale Ale, imagine how many captains put their ships onto the rocks after a big night on the Indian Pale Ale. And just imagine the treasures to be found in the hulls of those ships, wooden casks full of vintage IPA.

The sister brew for the Styx River Pale was meant to use the same hop schedule. I thought I hade 180g of Galaxy but when I went to the freezer the pack I thought was Galaxy was not labelled [unsure]. So rather than do a mystery pale ale I used Topaz and added the Galaxy and Willamette late in the boil. This one has Lychee undertones and seems to impart some sweetness. Mind you the boil was only 25 minutes so it was a bit under done as Chad pointed out (although IanH says 33 IBU).

Not too concerned this was my first extract and I accidentally tapped this keg after 2-3 weeks. It didn't last long and this was the brew that SWMBO learnt how to use the keg on. It did have a level of bitterness and it was very flavoursome.

It showed my what could be achieved without a can, that is a bespoke beer. I am loving Galaxy, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ,,, so I will do the Styx River again in three formats - Kits & Bits, Extract and Partial (damn Yob) and one day (next year after April) i do one of those AG things with a 3V or 4V setup

[pinched] [pinched] [pinched]

PS while we're on this thread what form do the Brewing Brethren think a Ship Wreck Indian Pale Ale would take? It has to be authentic I reckon pushing up around the 7.5% ABV with a decent hop kick and skunk.

it looks like a pub urinal [biggrin]

let us know is the oak chips make much of a difference

I reckon you could be right there Eoin. The only thing missing in that photograph is some Rocky Candy! [lol]

Anthony.

are they hop tea bags? interesting... Ive never seen them in the flesh... disturbing how they float like that [lol]

oh.. and put the bloody lid back on [roll], doesnt appear to be much depth to the ring of action there, though that means little I know, but still I do like to see massive gunge a few inches deep and generally get it with most of my brews these days.

Ive never added OAK chips, gunna have to chase down a brew with some in to see what the crack is.

[wink]

Archived