Coopers Community

Advice on taste

NathanW9

Now this is hard to explain so *beer* with me[biggrin] My past couple of brews, mostly the ones with hops come out with this, over fermented taste..almost hoegaardeen like taste?? Anyone know what im talking about? What Can i do to stop it? im thinking its to do with brew temp as its the only thing that has changed here in QLD?

Hi Nathan, we need a bit more info in order to try to figure out the problems here...

What temp are you fermenting at?

What ingredients are in the brews? Kit? Are you using Dextrose or malts for the added fermentables? What yeast did you use? Did you boil the hops or just dry hop them?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Hoegaarden" taste.. is it fruity, cidery?

My past couple of brews' date=' mostly the ones with hops come out with this, over fermented taste..almost hoegaardeen like taste?? Anyone know what im talking about? What Can i do to stop it? [/quote']

As Otto had said we need more info about the taste you are trying to avoid, what you are brewing and what your process was. Are you sure it is not a banana taste as that could be an indication of high fermentation temperature.

Hoegaarden is one of my favorite beers and I love the taste. Have never considered it as overfermented. Perhaps you are experiencing an alcoholic taste which can also come from fermenting at higher temperatures.

I have just yesterday put down a similar beer to Hoegaarden(Blue Moon Clone)but using US 05 instead of a Wyeast 3944 or WLP400 which are similar to the Hoegaarden strain.

This is my third attempt at this one and getting the body and those orange and coriander flavors near the mark is proving elusive to me.

I have just yesterday put down a similar beer to Hoegaarden(Blue Moon Clone)but using US 05 instead of a Wyeast 3944 or WLP400 which are similar to the Hoegaarden strain.

This is my third attempt at this one and getting the body and those orange and coriander flavors near the mark is proving elusive to me.

WB06 is a good substitiute yeast, and cheaper.

I think it makes beter beer than Blue Moonwhen fermented at about 22C

But WLP400 would probably be a closer clone.

Go easy on the orange and give a good belt of crushed Coriander Seed. (maybe rind of 1 orange and 20g crushed Coriander seed)

I am trying the Blue Moon clone specifically and not a Hoegaarden and the recommended yeast for that is 1056 or US05. I am only doing 11L batches (BIAB) of this one. I added 7.5gm of organic dried orange peel (curacao)and 17gms of crushed coriander seed at flame out.

Had a hell of a job finding dried orange peel but fluked picking some up at a little store (maingrain.com) in Arbita Springs LA when visiting the Arbita Brewing Company in that town recently.

Archived