Coopers Community

First brew down....

Punchy

I got a kit for Xmas because I figured it would be cheaper in the long run than buying beer. I've enjoyed home brews before which have been made by mates.... never seems to leave me with a hang over which is good. Anyway I put the first brew down yesterday and all seems to be going well. Although its hard to regulate the temperature at the moment as Perth has aheat wave going on. Ive got the aircon on full blast and drapped a wet towel around the fermenter which seem to be helping. See how it goes... I will let you all know when it comes to tasting how it turned out.

I'm looking forward to dropping down an Irish Stout, Ginger Been and perhaps a Cider.

Anyway I put the first brew down yesterday and all seems to be going well. Although its hard to regulate the temperature at the moment as Perth has aheat wave going on. Ive got the aircon on full blast and drapped a wet towel around the fermenter which seem to be helping.

I'm looking forward to dropping down an Irish Stout, Ginger Been and perhaps a Cider.

Well done and welcome.

You are right in trying to control the temperature. Temperature control at all stages of brewing is essential if you want to not only make good beer but also to achieve consistency from brew to brew.

Sounds like you have a few future brews in mind already and it may be worth getting yourself set up before you get too far into the production pipeline.

There is some excellent advice in different threads at this forum or on other sites on how to take control of the temperature. This makes brewing all year round so much easier. You do not need to spend a packet and could set up a temperature controlled fridge for around $100.

Without a temperature controlled chamber your yeast will likely be subjected to less than optimal temperatures and also quite significant changes in temperature during the day. They express their dislike of this by producing off flavours in your beer.

I'm looking forward to dropping down an Irish Stout' date=' Ginger Been and perhaps a Cider.[/quote']

Irish Stout + 500g Dark DME + 500g Wheat DME + 500g Dex[love]

Ginger Been - Mmmmm, beens! - I'll let someone else suggest a recipe as I don't like the kit.

Cider- Get out of here now Fruity Mc Fruitlover! [biggrin]

Archived