Coopers Community

fermentation time

just had a thought (yes surprised me too) as i use half the amount of dextrose as i make mid strength beer....would that cut my fermentation time down? i ask because it looks like my latest batch i put down 23/12 has finished fermenting...og was 1030 fg yesterday was 1012...will take another this arvo...i thought this abit quick til i thought about the half dextrose i use...any thoughts fellas? oops read it wrong...fg yesterday and today is 1010

G'day Ned

When I use recultured yeast or kit yeast I find it always finishes within 4 days. When I brew mid strengths I don't really note a difference but it would make sense that there is less sugar to munch through so they probably get an earlier knock off.

G'day Ned cobber

I just about always use recultured yeast now and thsi always finishes within 4 days. From what I can remember about teh kit yeasts thaey were pretty good munchers as well and finished in 4 days. Don't brew mid strengths though but it would make sense that there is less sugar to munch through so they probably get an earlier knock off.

thanks ed...i never gave it much thought til now...i always used any old white sugar at the supermarket this is the first ever with the dextrose....i thought it was a little quick til i started to think..(theres a great moment in sport...me thinking lol ) once again thanks ed

I usually brew midstrength too (greedily so that i can drink more bottles) and the kit yeast (cos i'm a cheap ****er) and fermentation is often finished in the same time.

Unless I'm in a rush to fill bottles, I leave it for 2 weeks anyway, to give the yeast time to clean up and drop, leaving less sediment in the bottle.

I usually brew midstrength too (greedily so that i can drink more bottles) and the kit yeast (cos i'm a cheap ****er) and fermentation is often finished in the same time.

Unless I'm in a rush to fill bottles, I leave it for 2 weeks anyway, to give the yeast time to clean up and drop, leaving less sediment in the bottle.

thanks lord if i wasnt so far behind in my bottling id leave it but i had to bottle today!!!!!next batch is a double coopers draught with just the dextrose but im hoping i can get in front then kick back and drink older beer......ive had to resort to store bought for a few days...the "sad" thing is i drank the last lot of double batch and the oldest it got in the bottle was 2 w eeks and its still 1000% on what id brewed "in the rough" for 8 years lol...goes to show..."aussies can drink anything" lol. cheers and thanks mate, Nedg

Hey Ned, i had a few days in the bush before xmas, so i drank all my ready stock. i have just started the batch of coops draught that was bottled on 12/12 and all who are drinking it would not complain if they had it served at the local here. a couple of weeks and it will be shit hot, but i dont think it will last that long.

Hey Ned' date=' i had a few days in the bush before xmas, so i drank all my ready stock. i have just started the batch of coops draught that was bottled on 12/12 and all who are drinking it would not complain if they had it served at the local here. a couple of weeks and it will be ****hot, but i dont think it will last that long.[/quote']

kool ...its amazing how long i put up with the other stuff i was making for years lol.. i have already drunk the double batch brew i bottled 9/12 !!!!!toldyas i was a pisshead lol....am on store bought now but got my eye on batch i bottled on the 23rd...darn i hate having to show restraint lol. cheers nick

Archived