Coopers Community

Rice Syrup

Swamp Fox

Hey fellow brew-dogs.

I was in the supermarket the other day and in the *eek* health food aisle saw 500gm jars of rice syrup. Interesting, me thinks, so I have a look at the ingredient list and it says "rice". So the old brainbox goes into overdrive - having just come back from a couple of weeks in Japan and sampling their mainstream beers which were made from - you guessed it - malted rice. They really were'nt too bad, just needed body. And hops. And hops. And hops.

So my question is, and PB2 jump right on in: can I use this rice syrup to brew with, has anyone done something similar, and what were the results ?

I think Eisenhowser or Doogie Howser or whatever his name is has gotten a little caught up in the BS talk of his own product. The success of his product has been corporate sponsorship which led to mass marketing on the grandest scale EVER of all beers in the U.S.A. & probably the world.

"This Bud's for you!" [roll]

In relation to the rice syrup, I tried a well brewed home brew beer a few weeks ago with this as part of it's makeup, & it was quite nice. Not my type of beer, but nice all the same.

I might get around to using it one day, once I've completed the 100's of brews I still want to brew with conventional malts. [pinched]

Anthony.

Rice, flaked oats, even bloody potato all contain starch, if those starches can be made soluble (boiled) they can be concerted by malt enzymes, it does require a partial mash but almost any starchy grain can be used as an adjunct, from memory, 5 -10% of the total grist.

If done correctly, there is no taste difference, starch is converged to sugar, yeast eats sugar, beer is made.

Yob

Archived