Coopers Community

Transferring from bottle to bottle?

Jimmy

OK, here's the deal: I bought my brother a cool glass beer stein for Christmas, and I'd like to complement the gift with some of the stout I brewed for Christmas. But, here's my question: If I was to pour two of my 750 ml bottles into a sanitized 1.5 l bottle, leaving the yeast sediment behind, would the contact with oxygen cause a problem in terms of shelf life, or would the CO2 of the beer expel the oxygen from the bottle? I'm sure he'll drink the beer within a few days, but this is something I've been curious about for a while now. Any ideas?

would the contact with oxygen cause a problem in terms of shelf life' date=' or would the CO2 of the beer expel the oxygen from the bottle?[/quote']

You could try and avoid the oxygen by doing the transfer in space! [biggrin]

I would assume your shelf life is reduced, and you will also lose your CO2 - so no bubbles. How long has it been bottled for? If not long, the yeast might still be alive so adding some extra priming sugar would bubble it up again I guess (providing you do transfer the yeast sediment). Too old and the yeasties will be permanently resting I guess (but yeast daddy Yob know more about them than I do).

If I was to pour two of my 750 ml bottles into a sanitized 1.5 l bottle' date=' leaving the yeast sediment behind, would the contact with oxygen cause a problem in terms of shelf life, or would the CO2 of the beer expel the oxygen from the bottle? [/quote']

It will definitely have implications for the shelf life and likely the quality of the beer and it's carbonation in the new container. There will be oxygen contact with the beer during transfer.

If you have a few spare bottles give it a try as this is the best way to learn.

I screwed up on a cider I am doing at the moment and have done something similar only a few minutes ago. I was about to pastuerize my cider and found I left them a day too long and they are gushers. I gently cracked the tops to release the pressure and recapped them. They are in the stockpot now pasteurising.

It is a first for me but we learn by our mistakes and practice.

Since you expect it to be consumed within a few days and taking into account that it's a stout, there should be no noticeable spoilage. [cool]

You are likely to experience less foaming and CO2 loss if you transfer chilled beer to a bottle which is at the same temperature. Pour slowly and smoothly - expect there to be some spillage.

Another way to reduce the effect of oxygen, helping the beer to last for a good few months with no ill effects (particualrly if stored in a fridge) - allow the receiving bottle to foam over as it is being filled then cap immediately and rinse off the bottle. The foam contains CO2 and displaces the air out of the bottle-neck. [wink]

Much obliged, gentlemen. The slight loss of carbonation will not be a problem, as the stout was primed at the normal rate, so there's plenty of CO2. Actually, I've sometimes used the transferring method to take some homebrew with me to a party or whatever, and the loss of carbonation is surprisingly insignificant.

Archived