Coopers Community

Yeast

Sticky Wicket

I have been reculturing Coopers commercial yeast recently with success using the yeast from 3 long necks . In fact it is quite aggressive and seems to working its way through quite large beers, I.e. two cans APA +250gms of LME + 250gms of dex.

The question is the yeast is reproducing from a reculture and enough to do its job on the above recipe, why do I need to increase yeast volumes to brew large beers with dry yeast?

Hiya Sticky.

You'll find that there are only slight increases in the volumes of yeast you'll need to brew higher Original Gravity beers. The BIG increases come from when you wish to reduce your primary fermentation temperature to brew lager/pilsner styles away from the much home-brewed ale style.

For example, as a general rule of thumb, an ale will successfully brew at temperatures of 18-24\xb0C. A lager however, needs to be brewed at lower temperatures somewhere in the region of 9-15\xb0C. The volumes of yeast that need to be pitched at these differing temperatures increases with the lower fermenting temperature, as does the time-frame to successfully fully primary ferment the brew.

MR. Malty's Yeast Calculator will certainly help you with the amounts of yeasts you should be pitching at certain brews.

I hope that helps. [joyful]

Anthony.

Sticky,

For me to give you sound advice, I need to see the full recipe you plan to brew. At a minimum, I need to know what the expected Original Gravity of the beer you plan to brew is, already knowing that you plan to brew it as a lager style.

With that information I can certainly assist you further.

Anthony.

Sorry Anthony,

My novice ways are shining through, I have no idea of OG levels however will be using the following ingredients.

1 X Coopers European Lager can

1 x Coopers light malt extract can

250 grams Dex

12g Halletauh hops bag dry at start

12g Halletauh hops bag dry at one week

After looking at the pitching calculator I am thinking the S283 + the kit yeast.

Your thoughts on pitching and result of recipe, all advice is appreciated.

Hi again Sticky,

Sorry Anthony,

My novice ways are shining through, I have no idea of OG levels however will be using the following ingredients.

1 X Coopers European Lager can

1 x Coopers light malt extract can

250 grams Dex

12g Halletauh hops bag dry at start

12g Halletauh hops bag dry at one week

After looking at the pitching calculator I am thinking the S283 + the kit yeast.

Your thoughts on pitching and result of recipe, all advice is appreciated.

Firstly, you have no need to apologise for anything. Information swapping is what this forum is setup for. [happy]

As far as true lager brews go, I'm ONE brew ahead of you! Haha! [biggrin]

I'll be bottling my 3 week primary ferment lager this weekend. I've had a STACK of great advice from the guys on the forum through brewing this my 1st lager that has helped me ridiculously to succeed with this brew too. Thanks guys.[kissing]

As far as using the kit yeast along with the S-23, you have already shown what a "Smart Cookie" you are. Yes use the kit yeast as well as the S-23, it'll work well.

Just understand that the final flavour of your brew is a result of a mix of the two yeasts. If you really want to know what the S-23 yeast imparts on that same brew, then use 2 packets of that yeast on the SAME brew next time. That will give you a TRUE indication of the flavour you can expect from S-23 in future brews.

Good luck with it. [joyful]

Anthony.

Archived