Coopers Community

steeping and freezing

Nick

i will wait and see what happens, but i reckon the most important thing is to boil after steeping. hopefully i have got away with it this time, but will not make that mistake again. Hey Lusty, why do think i shouldnt have done this with cracked crystal? i thought cracking and steeping was the go with most grains?

Hi Nick.

All I was referring to was the process you were planning to use to steep the grains. Wayne & Hairy have pretty much re-iterated that sentiment in their subsequent posts. I would either do the steep over night in cold tap water, OR do the steep in recently boiled water for the normal 30-60 minutes, not a combination of the two. Then obviously strain off & use for your hop boil.

Sorry for any confusion.

Anthony.

i did the steep in recently boiled water, i just used a coffee plunger instead of a pot. as i said in previous post, it was so easy to strain, as the plunger does it without pouring through a strainer. i think it will work fine. i will def boil it next time though before i add it to the FV as i am now a bit concerned about contamination.

Archived