Coopers Community

Feral Hop Hog and Belgian Pale Ale

A Mate just returned from WA with a small collection of beers for me.

The first one appears to be all the rage here

True it is hoppy with strong aroma, I get the Pine and some of the citrus notes, but TBH both the IPAs I did using the Coopers IPA as a base top this one. I reckon I might up the ABV on my next to see how it compares to this one.

One of the beauties he bought back was the Abbey Ale by Malt Shovel, we polished off a six pack and I am now keen to go Belgian. Graham has posted one recipe, but this one they say is a Belgian Pale Ale [alien] . Anyone with any ideas [unsure]

I like both of those beers.

Here is a link to some partial mash recipes which includes a Belgian Abbey Ale. You might be able to convert that to extract.

Partial Mash Recipes

You will have to find your own monk though.

Thanks Hairy

I'm on a hiding to nothin' here, his missus tasted one at the Monastery New Norcia and reckons it was pretty nice. Only trouble is we've drank them all and she missed out[bandit] . I promised I brew up a replacement [biggrin]

I like both of those beers.

Here is a link to some partial mash recipes which includes a Belgian Abbey Ale. You might be able to convert that to extract.

Partial Mash Recipes

You will have to find your own monk though.

Thanks Hairy

I'm on a hiding to nothin' here, his missus tasted one at the Monastery New Norcia and reckons it was pretty nice. Only trouble is we've drank them all and she missed out[bandit] . I promised I brew up a replacement [biggrin]

I can get the Abbey Ale at my local Dan Murphys. A trip to Penrith might be on the cards.

I can't find Feral Hop Hog in bottles anywhere near me. I have had it on tap a few times in the city though.

The specs you need you can find on the BJCP.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.048 \u2013 1.054

IBUs: 20 \u2013 30 FG: 1.010 \u2013 1.014

SRM: 8 \u2013 14 ABV: 4.8 \u2013 5.5%

To be honest theres so many combinations to hit those numbers, half the fun with Belgiums is playing around with the ingredients and fermentation temperatures, get decent yeast and control the temps and you will more than likely get a good result.

I would look into a mini mash and get those malts in there, Biscuit, Abbey, Aromatic and Special B.

Use European hops like Saaz and Hallertau but keep them out of the flavour equation.

Yeast yeast yeast, WLP500 is to die for (dark fruits, raisins and bubblegum esters), split it, step it up and wash and re-use it after use....

Im about to order the bits for a Dubbel, best beer in the world [love]

Archived