Coopers Community

Very pleased

I am happy to report that my english bitter turned out to be a great success had a sample last night only a week and a half in the bottle tasted so good I could of eaten the glass lol.

Anyhow I have now adopted dry hopping as well as hop boils to my brews dry hopping adds a nice finishing touch of wonderful aroma at first I tried dry hopping as the first try of hopping my beers and wasn't sold on the idea of it. However with my EB I decided to do a dry hop in addition to the hop boil and wow what a difference im never going back to just hop boils on their own. The other thing I wanted to report back was out of the several brews I have done using crystal malt have been a great success too beers have a better mouth feel and better head retention not only that but also the kits taste a 100 times fresher. Anyhow All for Brew and Brew for all Cheers.

Hi Wayno.

I'm glad your EB has turned out well. [happy]

I agree that dry hopping adds a great aroma to a brew, but I'll probably limit dry hopping to ales only. As far as aroma goes for lagers & pilsners, I'll probably rely on late hop additions to the boil for my aroma/flavour, being that clarity is a more prominent aspect for lagers & pilsners.

I never say, "NEVER" though. If I discover a lager that I like, that I feel requires a dry hop, I'll certainly do it. [biggrin]

Anthony.

I agree with you there about dry hopping Lagers but if I had a brew fridge I would give it a shot at least once. I found with brewing sometimes experiments work out really well. I keep a log of all my beers and the really good recipe's I tend to try new things all the time. I now know why the Americans love to dry hop the crap out of their ales. I really love the aroma dry hopping brings adds more character to the beer and more complexity. Even SWMBO is starting to appreciate hoppy beers just got to wait a few more weeks and I will let the mates have a try anyhow I am stoked with the results strangely I seem to be adding more and more hops to each batch and I am enjoying my beers more and more. Cheers

I've been making a few lagers recently, I always dry hop everything so wouldnt be able to tell you if its better than a lager without.

What I can tell you though is that the czech pilsner I finished recently, dry hopped with 25g of Saaz (4%AA) was effing ridiculously delicious and the keg lasted half the time of any ale I brew.

Clarity is not an issue after the lagering period

Wayne' date=' you may also find that your taste has curbed more toward the appreciation of dry hops as your experience grows. I know mine definitely did [joyful']

+1 Yes I will agree I am also finding each brew I am putting more and more hops in as well had a taste of a few good IPA's (store bought) and I would say my taste appreciates a good hop dosed beers plain kits are a bit boring for me highly drinkable but I crave the hoppy flavour and aroma with my beers. I know some of my mates try one of my hoppy beers and they almost screw their faces up because of the hoppines and bitterness but I love it like that and I do have a couple of mates who appreciate a nice hoppy beer and have commended me on a few I will keep pushing the limits with hops but if I make them too hoppy just put them aside for 6 months and they will mellow out [rightful]

Archived