Coopers Community

Help and Advice Please!!!! - Ginger Beer

Jimmy78

Hi Gents

I have a couple of questions with a Ginger Beer that I put down 6 days ago. I followed the Coopers recipe to the letter, 1 kg of raw sugar mixed to 20 litres...

It is day 6 and there is still a 2 inch foamy browny mess of the top that came on day 3. Usually with beer, the foamy mess has disappeared after 4 days. Is this usual?

Now, the current gravity is 1.010, I was told that it should get down to nearly 1.000 with raw sugar. (SG was 1.025 making it a mid strength beer assuming it gets down close to 1.000)

Is this just a case of let it do its thing? I'm not into rushing beers and generally leave them in the fermentor for 2+ weeks before bottling, I have just not experienced this before and am thinking, if it is stuffed, I'd prefer to tip it out and start again instead of letting it sit. I would also like to add, I did taste it and it tastes like Ginger beer, not sour or anything...

I'm just confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jimmy

I'd prefer to tip it out and start again instead of letting it sit. I would also like to add, I did taste it and it tastes like Ginger beer, not sour or anything...

Hey Jimmy

I wouldn't tip it out. I also wouldn't be looking for it to be done in a hurry. I have done two and they both sat in the FV for 21 days. Finishing SG was 1.003 & 1.005. Mine didn't develop a Krausen as quickly as yours but I fermented at 18 - 20'C.

I ended up getting an original style FV just for Ginger Beers. I have also done 3 non-alcoholic GB and the SG is very close to 1.

Hi Scottie

Thanks for the response.

So what you are telling me is that Ginger Beer just takes longer to ferment and is different to brewing beer? i.e. the Krausen comes later and goes longer? BTW, the brew has been brewed around 22-24C.

I'm happy to leave to leave it, I just wasn't sure whether it was going as it should.

To be honest, it is quite confusing that the instructions say 6 days, I have never bottled a beer after 6 days!

Thanks

Yeah mate, Scottie is on the money. I made one for dad a few months ago and it did the same thing. Apparently it takes longer to ferment raw sugar. I'd leave it in there for 3 weeks, and you should end up with a FG around 1003-1005, give or take. I wouldn't say it's "different" to brewing beer as such.. but the time frame for fermentation is more like a lager than an ale.

Archived