Coopers Community

Do you have to fill bottles completely

RickE1

Just got my kit and about to brew up my first batch.

When I get to bottling, do I need to fill the bottles completely?

I have some 16oz (473ml) bottles and am thinking about only filling them with 375ml so I can just put in 1 carbonation drop. Will the extra air in the bottle hurt anything?

Thanks

Hi Rick

Normally, the bottling valve will displace some fluid, so when the beer hits the top of the bottle, stop filling - you will then end up with a small amount of head space.

If you don't fill I assume there will need to be more sugar, as there is more empty space for the CO2 to go to. The bubbles end up in the beer when the "air" space is full of CO2 - there's no where else for it to go except into the beer. Make sense?

It will depend on the style of beer you are wanting to do, as to whether the slightly less carbonation is a problem (i.e. from filling the whole bottle and adding only one carb drop).

I don't know if there's a calculator for bottles anywhere that someone else can point out?

Hey rick i wouldnt worry too much generally most people including myself will tell you that 1 carb drop per 375 ml makes the beer to fizzy anyway. Comes down to personal preferance if i was you i would add them to both your 375ml and 473 ml or whatever it is you have and see which level of carbonation you like better. When i use 500 ml grolsh bottles everynow and again ill add 3 grams of sugar to each similar to 1 carb drop and its perfect so just fill them and give it a crack.

I used to use 1.5 carb drops per 500ml bottle (just split them with a knife of chizel)but in my opinion they were too fizzy.

I think that 1 drop per 500ml is about right. (ie 6g/l)

Just put in 1 drop and fill to near the top as normal[happy]

Archived