Coopers Community

Lime Infusion

ash

Hi Ash.

If it were me, I'd probably experiment a number of ways with it to see which gave the result I was looking for.

1. Throw a handful into my fermenter & give a good stir just prior to pitching my yeast.

2. Adding that same quantity of leaves to a cook of either LDM/or hops, then pouring that mix into the fermenter with everything else, then pitching the yeast.

3. If I wasn't happy with the strength of the lime flavour from methods 1 & 2, I'd combine them. A cook with the kaffir leaves + a late inclusion into the FV just before pitching the yeast.

4. Skip the Kaffir leaves, & go Traditionale` & just poke a slice of lime to the stubby as you drink it.

I have a friend of a friend who mixes a certain amount into the FV just before he pitches the yeast & says he is happy with the results.

Experimentation will give you the outcome you seek. [biggrin]

I hope that helps.

Beer.

Once I receive some goods I have ordered I will be doing some experimenting. I am using the Lemon Mrytle weizen recipe and combining it with a recipe from the Dogfish Head doco (Brewmasters) where they used pepper in a Belgian wit. I am using Mountain pepper leaf. I will buy a wit bier and mix some of both in with it to see what it tastes like and give a rough guide for quantity. This way, I'm not going to ruin (well, fingers crossed) 23L of beer.

I'm also going to try a porter with wattleseeds (a mocha like flavour) which just sounds awesome in my mind [joyful]

My mate said i should steep the herbs in some vodka, then mix it in the beer. Still not decided on the method i will use yet

Hiya AdamH.

I am using the Lemon Mrytle weizen recipe and combining it with a recipe from the Dogfish Head doco (Brewmasters) where they used pepper in a Belgian wit. I am using Mountain pepper leaf...

I tried to find your quote from another thread about never having used Saaz hops before & you wanting to try it in something, but I couldn't find the post. ( I don't think I have you mixed up with anyone else!) [lol]

The recipe you're talking about here is the PERFECT opportunity to use it. It will give you the taste & bitterness you are looking for without (most likely) having to resort to using Mountain Pepper Leaf.

Research a little further into the recipe & I bet you'll find quantities of Saaz involved.

Good luck with it. [smile]

Beer.

Archived