Coopers Community

Fast Brew Stout - 4 days, too fast?

MurrayD1

Hi All,

This is my 3rd brew, the others being a Nut Brown Ale and a Pale Ale, which came out great.

This time it was a Coopers Stout kit, made with an additional 300ml Cottees Chocolate Topping, 1kg Coopers Brewing Sugar, and some Crystal Malt juice.

I measured the starting gravity at 1050, which is huge right(?), and I put down to all the chocolaty goodness.

I've had it on a heat pad, and regulating the temperature to around 23C for 4 days. It's been bubbling away great.

This morning its stopped bubbling. Tonight I've measured the gravity and its 1012, which seems like a huge drop in 4 days.

Is that possible? It smells fine, looks a good colour.

I'm just shocked it fermented so quick. The other brews took two weeks to get down that low.

Is it possible to ferment that quick, and still be OK?

1050Og isn't huge about average really and brewing for 4 days isn't long enough if you are reffering to the air lock throw that out it may well be fermenting take hydrometer samples over 24hr period firstly I would be leaving it for 14 days so it finishes fermenting properly and so the yeast clean up after themselves I am pretty sure if you stick that beer into bottle now you will have bottle bombs patience is the key.

1050Og isn't huge about average really and brewing for 4 days isn't long enough if you are reffering to the air lock throw that out it may well be fermenting take hydrometer samples over 24hr period firstly I would be leaving it for 14 days so it finishes fermenting properly and so the yeast clean up after themselves I am pretty sure if you stick that beer into bottle now you will have bottle bombs patience is the key.

1050 is my average starting gravity.[devil]

Archived