Coopers Community

my next brew

Nick

i have some ingredients lying around at home and thought i would try the following 1.7 Lager tin, 1.5 light malt extract tin, 500g dex. i would pitch with 10g ale yeast and ferment at ambient [about 24 deg] any thought on what i will end up with?

i have some ingredients lying around at home and thought i would try the following 1.7 Lager tin' date=' 1.5 light malt extract tin, 500g dex. i would pitch with 10g ale yeast and ferment at ambient [about 24 deg'] any thought on what i will end up with?

Beer.

Will it be great? I have my doubts.. If ever there was a kit that needed additional hops its this one. 24 degree ferment will result in some funky ester production too.. If you can, especially for the first 4 days, get the ferment temp down to about 20... 18 if you can manage it.

500g of dex in most, if not all kits, is far too much IMO.. Reduce that by half if you simply must use dex.

Yob

Righto Yob' date=' i'm gonna take your advice and halve the dex and add some hops. Can you give me a couple of simple hop suggestions please mate? [/quote']

Cascade is a good starting point. Boil 25g for around 10 minutes or steep 25g for 30 minutes. On day 4 dry hop with 25g.

Righto Yob' date=' i'm gonna take your advice and halve the dex and add some hops. Can you give me a couple of simple hop suggestions please mate? [/quote']

Galaxy and Cascade... Citra and Centennial.. Amarillo and all of the above..

I never use just one hop but you may want to start with just one, even just dry hopping will add a punch.

Use a rate of 1 gram per L for dry hopping (total if combined) and adjust up or down depending on your taste next brew.

[ninja]

Archived