Coopers Community

How much honey?

King Ruddager

So now I'm thinking of adding honey to an English bitter, but I don't know how to work out how much to use. I think the standard recipe calls for the basic kit plus 0.5kg dry malt, yesno? I'd like to add the honey on top of that. I see that there's a recipe in "How to Brew" that uses BE1 and 200g molasses, but I think malt is a better option. Isn't it?

You know ... I really ought to do one by the book one of these days hahaha

I have just made a beer using a Coopers original series Draught, 1kg honey, 75g aromatic malt steeped for 30 mins at approx 75c, 10g sonnet hops and 10g willamette hops boiled in the wort resulting from the steeped malt for 10 mins, then 10g each of the sonnet and willamette hops boiled for 5 mins, and dry hopped with 20g willamette hops.

The resulting beer has a lovely honey hoppy aroma and a refreshing honey hoppy, but not particularly bitter flavour. I am very pleased with the result. I guess the English bitter made with 1kg honey would come out more bitter as the kit is more bitter than the draught. I have used 500g of honey before and have to say that it was not really discernable at that amount, I would certainly recommend a full kg. Plus the extra hop flavour balances out the honey very well.

Archived