Coopers Community

Red irish ale/

davids47

Havnt brewed it but it's my opinion that all kits can do with a little something something extra.. be it a bit of grain, all malt (No BE's) or extra hops or all of the above

for me... all of the above.. when thinking hops though try to keep them to style.

Yob

Havnt brewed it but it's my opinion that all kits can do with a little something something extra.. be it a bit of grain' date=' all malt (No BE's) or extra hops or all of the above[/quote']

The thing is that this recipe from how to brew does include specialty grains, roasted barley and medium crystal.

Just wanted to know has any one made the red Irish ale that is in recipe section ,if so what were the results like

and did it need any extras over and above whats in the recipe

I have brewed it and it is quite a good mid strength. The only thing I will suggest is steer clear of the Pale Ale kit yeast, mine developed an eggy smell in the FV and then in the naturally carbed Keg, took forever to dissipate, I had a stubby the other night, 21 weeks in the bottle, and the eggy aroma has dissipated. If you don't want to wait this long use a different yeast, S04 is a cheap option for starters. I have brewed some good beers with S04.

As for the whole AG versus kit argument, I have heard from two reliable sources that a well-brewed kit beer can be passed off as an AG brew. Both Yob and Dr Smurto have done this.

So David Brew it as per the recipe, at 18'C for two weeks in the FV, but use a different yeast.

Archived