Coopers Community

General help ?

davids47

Hi new to the forum

been brewing for a few years made some i like ,made some that have gone down the drain

Mostly a can of goo and some sugar or enhancer nothing to exciting,

looking at some recipes on the site that say, boil goo from can,or dry malt , with the hops and grains,is there any reason why we have to do this why not but Goo in barrel and pour the boiled hop and grain water over that,

What is the advantages of liquid malt(unhoped) over dry malt,if any, and if not, is there a conversion table For liquid to dry,

I know the questions may be simple but i would like to know more about making good beer at home

Some answers or advice in no particular order. I'd move from goo with sugar or enhancer to goo with malts (and maybe just a little sugar or dex). Getting away from simple sugars and using more malts is a very big step along the way to making great beer.

Generally you don't boil a prehopped can but boiling hops in the unhopped malt will extract bitterness with longer boils plus some flavour/aroma in shorts boils.

If you want to keep it simple to get an idea for hops you could just go for a prehopped can with 1kg of LDM and then just dry hop with approx 1g of hops per litre.

Archived