Coopers Community

ENGLISH BITTER QUESTION

miket6

Hi Fellas..need some advice. I have been brewing a English Bitter 1x coopers english Bitter can 1 x be1 300g molassis in 23 litres. its a simple one that my brother likes to drink. I know it sounds a bit high but og was 1.051. The first night no action.. I chucked a heat pad underneath the next day to get the temp up to 22 and it started bubbling until the next day then stopped Again.It hasnt bubbled since.. I have condensation in the air lock and sg has come down to 1.015 for the past two days, its very cloudy but smells sweet and not off.There seem to be a fair amount of sugary sediment in the bottom my hydrometer tube from o/n and the rest of beer has cleared in it . Should I re pitch some yeast or just let it go for a few more days.

besides the fact that the sediment in your hydrometer will more then likely cause a false reading (should clear the tap before taking a reading), I'd just leave it for another week, from memory Molasses won't completely ferment out, plus you have Maltodextrine in BE1 so that won't either. Its probably just about done, but you'll get better results leaving for another week. IMO

I am with Gavin here.

Let it go for another week, take a reading and see if it has dropped any. I have never used molasses so not sure what it ferments like.

If you leave it in the fermenter a little longer it will give the yeast a better opportunity to clean up after themselves and will make a better beer.

thanks guys ill wait for a week and see...by the way gavin I have the pale ale in the fermentor bubbling away happily after your advice with the hopa and extra crystal malt all seems ok and eagerly anticipating the birth of my first all grain/extract creation.

Archived