Coopers Community

What could go wrong with a plastic hydrometer

johns45

I'm just getting started brewing so I got a Coopers kit. So my issue is the plastic hydrometer. I took the inital SG reading after getting things going and it read 1035 (at 24C). I'm aware that bubbles can cause issues with the reading so I spun it etc. to get ride of bubbles. I set it aside to do some other things and about 15 minutes later it was reading less at around 1032. I thought this was odd so at left it another 30 minutes and it went down further to 1029. Although I thought this was odd I thought it was possible some "stuff" was coming out of solution. So I went on with the process and tonight after a week I decided to take the hydrometer reading. I got my sample and the reading was 995. So I decided this thing was going to need some calibrating and threw it in some 20C water. Well that didn't work as it sunk to almost the top of the hydrometer. I think it's reading 975 (if I scale back to the top) in 20C water. So any thoughts out there on what's going on. It doesn't appear to be taking on beer/water. The intial reading was resonable but from then on things were going down hill. Thanks for any help.

It could be that the hydrometer is out a few anyway. Nevertheless....

My readings used to often be below 1.000 which was caused by foreign bacteria/yeasts munching out on my brew.

What is your sterilising and sanitising regime?

My plastic Hydrometer lasted two brews, well thats when I noticed it was way out anyway.. really p*ssed off about it actually, I was looking forward to a unbreakable hydrometer, gone back to my faithful glass one. And hopefully have a Refractometer soon..... $$$$$

Hey there, saw ya post Johns45 I am also a first timer, I have had the same problem, so i went out got me a glass one and im finding it more reliable then the plastic one, i usualy do 2 readings one with the plastic and one with the glass. But yeah my first brew was sitting at 1035 as well. So ive come to realise just to make good judgment. My 2nd brew turned out great alcohol wise without believing the hydrometer to much. there are a couple of good online calculators that i use that takes temp into the equation aswell.....

Archived