Coopers Community

Fermentation smell - appeasing SWMBO

Coxy

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. My brewing area is the downstairs laundry area. I get about half the room (about 2m x 3m square, or rectangle :P).

There's no door between it and the laundry itself, where SWMBO dwells quite regularly.

With brews that are in my fermentation fridge, it's not really a problem as they're enclosed. But those brewed at room temp (like my Stout) fills the room with what I think is a lovely aroma of hops and fermentation goodness, but which my wife believes smells like dank stale pub carpet.

Has anyone come up with a way to mask or contain the smell? Would putting a thick blanket or sleeping bag over the FV contain the smell do you think? Or should I get one of those airwick air fresheners and at least disguise the smell around the laundry itself?

I would hate for SWMBO to put her foot down and demand I find some where else to brew...because my options are extremely limited!

Are you a man or a mouse??.. harden up and tell her to get the washboard and go wash outside with a bucket!....

REA_woman_works_washboard.gif

lol nah... in all seriousness, just put a saucer of an odour eater of some sort. Maybe something like nilodor or a plate of Bi-Carb soda. You are going to find it difficult to rid or mask the smell whatever you do.

I would hate for SWMBO to put her foot down and demand I find some where else to brew...because my options are extremely limited!

Tell her to put up with it or she can do her washing at the laundromat...I dare you [devil]

Most people I have come across find the smells of fermentation quite agreeable - Even my wife who generally turns her nose up at the final product [biggrin]...so I can't really suggest anything for the smell other than the bicarb that Bill suggested.

Of course, you could always do the laundry [bandit]

Most people I have come across find the smells of fermentation quite agreeable - Even my wife who generally turns her nose up at the final product [biggrin]...so I can't really suggest anything for the smell other than the bicarb that Bill suggested.

Of course, you could always do the laundry [bandit]

I do so occasionally, when in one of my weak moments I decide to be a SNAG.

... Or when I need to have full access to the laundry sink/bench and the dirty washing is blocking it so I do the washing so I can do some brewing! LOL

Coxy,

You could try and do what I do, just put your FVs in the dinning room. This way the whole family can experience the joys of brewing!!! [bandit]

>

** It did take a bit to get this past SWMBO in the beginning, but it is the best place to maintain a stable 18-20c. [innocent]

Sorry Guys,

Tried to post a photo but didn't seem to work real well. Here is another attempt.

[/img]thumbnmail.png

No need to interfere with SWMBOs laundry activities either.!!![roll]

SWMBO used to say it 'smells like old man pub'

I started putting a half lemon nearby and she shut up, it also keeps my cat away...

But if you say your is preggers, then she's probably going to smell things more than you anyway and your job is to yield to her every request... *sigh*

Archived