Coopers Community

lowest temp for mexican cerveza yeast

RobertB20

hey guys, im a new brewer, ive made two real ale batches and a lager (standard range) and now im fermenting the mexican cerveza kit. i pitched the yeast four days ago at 22 degress, it sat stable at 18degrees till this morning when it had dropped to 14deg (its been getting cold here), then bacck up to 16deg by middy where its sitting now. i keep it in my bedroom cupboard and have put a sweatshirt on it to try keep it stable. will the ale yeast handle a drop to 14deg? or do i need to worry? what temp can the lager strain in the kit work too? trying to brew as low as possible to get that clean taste. thanks for all your help!

AFAIK the kit yeast is an Ale-Lager combo, so the ale yeast will work best around 18 degrees, but will work as low as 16 or 15, while the Lager will work as low as 8-10 degrees or so.

If you can maintain it around 14-16 you'll be pretty sweet.

I'm making a Mexican cerveza kit at the moment too, but I used some harvested Lager yeast from the european lager I did before it, so I've been keeping it in my fridge at around 13 degrees.

Archived