Coopers Community

Brewing Euro Lager with two yeast sachets

miket6

Can Anyone help? I have brewed a euro lager in the past tnto corny kegs-:

2 x cans Euro Lager

1kg be1

1kg ldm

2 x yeast sachets

@42 litres of water and brewed at 18c worked perfecly and tatsted great. My question is though, do I have to use the two yeast packets? If i use one will it affect the brew in 42l.Also can I make a starter from the last yeast cake in the fermenter?

I presume you used the yeast that came with the kit ie. a lager yeast.

Generally these should be brewed between 9-15 degrees but if you were happy with your results then that is all that counts.

These are 7g packets, so 7g in 42 litres of wort will be a massive under pitch. This will stress out the yeast and may lead to some off flavours and stalling.

I would use two packets at the very minimum.

And yes, you can make a starter from the yeast cake in the fermenter. There are plenty of threads around here on how to do it and Yob has set it out in detail with pictures.

See if you can find it with the search function otherwise someone may be able to locate it and post the link.

I have made a single brew with scraping 2-3 tablespoons of cake off the bottom of the tub fro my last euro lager brew. its on day 9 of fermen and doesnt seem to be doing that bad. has a slight egg smell but has dropped from 1.048 to 1.016 over this period. How do you think it will end up?

Sounds like it's going OK. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that egg smell is a symptom of yeast stress? But it's fairly common with lager yeast so nothing to worry about. I had a slight eggy smell with my european lager too but it disappeared before I bottled.

I had it in the FV for about 3 weeks and finished with an FG of 1.012. So I'd say yours is going pretty well. You had a much higher OG than me, mine was 1.040. I just used the Euro Lager can, 500g BE2 and 500g LDM to 23L. I started with just the kit yeast but added an 11g packet of Saflager-23 as well.

Archived