Coopers Community

Natural conditioning in the keg

Tropico

Although I am relatively new to beer brewing, I have decided to Natural condition in the keg.

I have heard that the dip tube should have some of the end cut off, in order keep it out of the sediment.

Is this a good idea, and is there any problem if it is not done?

Cheers

No, I wouldn't do it and have succesfully naturally conditioned in kegs. Just remember to use half the amount of sugar you would if you were bottling.

I think I had one keg where I had to run the first 100ml or so off to bypass the sediment but all the rest have been fine.

If you feel it absolutely necessary to shorten the dip tube then why not just bend it up slightly?

If you decide to cut the dip tube (no point imo though) you will need to let it oxidise as it is SS.

The other thing is why do you really want to naturally carb anyway?... if you can't answer this then just use C02 for what it is worth. The reason I do sometimes is to store the kegs that I wont be drinking for a while. i.e. if the keezer is full or if I am Lagering.

Thanks Bill,

I suppose that the majority of the sediment will come out with the initial beer. If it doesn't clog the line or tap then I guess its OK and I would prefer no to cut the tube (can't put it back on later).

I am not in a hurry carb and drink the kegs, and at least half my brews will be going into bottles. Both the kegs and bottles will be aged for about 2 months before drinking (or more depending on how much stock I can brew up and how fast it can be drunk).

So it seemed logical that Natural Carbonation in the keg would be preferable, and I understand that it may be stored for a longer time by this method.

Is it really necessary to purge the keg with CO2 or will the secondary fermentation take care of the oxygen similar to bottling?

When kegging if you are force carbing then make sure you burp the kegs, this will release the oxygen and stop your beer from oxidising. This will also increase the life of your beer.

If you are natural carbing, then you don't need to burp as the yeast use the oxygen and the sugar to make CO2 and alcohol.

I also add the sugar at the same rate as I do my bottles and store them as I would my bottles. Then when I want to drink (a couple of months later) I put them in the fridge for a week and pour one or two glasses of beer down the drain. My beer is all carbed up and after the couple of months in the keg is crystal clear as well.

Plenty of ways to skin a cat really.

thanks guys,

I think I am on the right track.

I also add the sugar at the same rate as I do my bottles and store them as I would my bottles. Then when I want to drink (a couple of months later) I put them in the fridge for a week and pour one or two glasses of beer down the drain. My beer is all carbed up and after the couple of months in the keg is crystal clear as well.

Exactly what I am hoping for. I am interested why you add sugar at the same dosage as bottles, instead of half?

Matty.... sugar at the same dosage as bottles will give you overcarbed kegs. How are you achieving correct carb rates doing this?

No need to purge the oxygen if naturally carbing as the yeast will consume it.

I always burp my kegs in the first couple of days to make sure its carbonating correctly (old kegger taught me how to keg and the habbit has grown on me).

I reckon that naturally carbing always gives me better head retention and a nicer finish to the beer. My opinion tho

If you are releasing gas by burping the keg a few days into it then this is where you are releasing the excess gas obviously. However, I wouldn't recommend it without first having some idea of how much you are releasing.

Personally, I would stick to the guaranteed formula. i.e. half the required sugar compared to bottles. Not only this but you are also using less to achieve the appropriate outcome.

Archived