Coopers Community

Has anyone been crazy enough to use Milo as a fermentable in a brew?

Stoobrew

I have heard of people adding 200g of Milo in their stouts quite successfully. I tried on that had it in their and it was quite nice, I probably would have used a little more but not sure on what else that would do to the brew because Milo isnt just malted barley.

I should try it one day.

Hi, I've got a Doppelbock brewing now (15 ltrs to 8% approx.) with Nestle Drinking Chocolate disolved in water and added and it seems to be tasting quite good. I started with 50g with hot water and checked after 3 days and added another 50g because I wanted to up the chocolate notes. Milo would work just as good if it doesn't have any preservatives. I couldn't find any liquid chocolate and my local brewer said don't melt solid chocolate as it will try and return to solid state when temperature drops...defeating the purpose. Good luck and let us know if it turns out OK.

Well I havn't been so game just yet. But I think I might try a few hundred grams in the next OS Stout I do to the stouter stout recipe(since I know that one already)...just as its cheap anyways so wont be to great a loss if it doesn't work out to well I! Well ovaltine is disgusting anyways gavin...besides I think that guy was trying to be funny...but really just destroying something that could have been drinkable beer :( dissapointing! Ok well...Might give this one a crack soon...So I think I might go for something like Be1...or coopers brewing sugar,and up the rest in milo replacing the malt,as far as I see the only problem with it is the milk solids,as we aussies know milo is pretty much malt sugar sugar and some more sugar...could be dangerous...but if your not living on the edge your taking up to much room right...?? Its 35% malted barley...I think I might boil it or at least steep it in the can with the malt...hopefully burn off some of the undesirables [bandit]

personally' date=' I'd get a high quality powdered drinking chocolate. [/quote']

I've checked it all pre packaged stuff as far as I can tell is full of preservatives and milk solids and soy solids and blah....yuk...not going to work in beer.

Milo still seems pretty damn malt and sugary...the only concerns in the ingredients for me is milk solids and soy lecithin, other than that it seems like pretty much fermentable sugar and dry malt...also includes Maltodextrin....so its obviously made for brewing :P nah but it will work...I hope [devil]

Archived