Coopers Community

Full Grain Recepie

miket6

Can anyone please help. I want to brew my first grain mash beer. I have all the equipment ready and have resourced many off the web. I t seemes however i am unable to undestand how much water/grain ratio to use for the mash and then how much water to use to sparge to make 1 42 litre mix( for eg what you would use in a cooper kit)to fill fill two cornelius kegs.

Can anyone please help. I want to brew my first grain mash beer. I have all the equipment ready and have resourced many off the web. I t seemes however i am unable to undestand how much water/grain ratio to use for the mash and then how much water to use to sparge to make 1 42 litre mix( for eg what you would use in a cooper kit)to fill fill two cornelius kegs.

How much Grain? Whats the equipment? eg: you wont get 40lt out of a 20lt mashtun... sooooo many variables... more info.

Brewmate is tits too.. great bit of free software (to donate if a long term user is a nice thing to do - no affiliation)

Yob

Being your first attempt at mash brewing, it's not a bad idea to start with smaller brew volume like 20 to 23 litres.

It's important to pay particular attention to recording all temperatures, times, weights, volumes, gravities, etc. So you can amend and tune your process with the following brews.

A 1:3 ratio in the mash is not a bad start (5kg pale malt to 15 litres of water at 72C).

When mixed together, the temp should drop to the mid 60s.

Sparge with about 10 to 15 litres of water at +80C.

After the boil, the runnings will be less than your planned ferment volume (how much less depends on evaporation rate and length of boil). From here, you can either top up with water to the desired volume or take a gravity reading and add water to achieve the desired OG.

Archived