Coopers Community

Wheat Coopers problem

MiguelR

Hi, I posted this question in another forum, but I think I need an expert or somebody with Coopers experience.

I have a coopers wheat+1.5 LME wheat+0.5 DME light fermenting now for 17 days.

The colour in the fermentor got a lot darker after a week (almost like red wine) . Although n the glass the colour is a nice wheat beer colour, the beer is tasteless...cannot feel any wheat there :(. Maybe, did I put too much malta extract on the kit?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't assume that you put too much DME on it.

I am assuming you used the yeast that came with the kit (being a coopers kit) which I believe is just the regular Ale yeast. It wont ferment it the same as a normal wheat beer yeast would (Someone may have to correct me here).

Hi,

Yes I used the yeast coming with the kit. there was quite a lot of activity very soon and the beer got clear after three or four days.

Then one week after, it got dark...I am wondering if my girlfriend could have done something while cleaning....

the taste is not bad, almost no taste actually and cannot feel the wheat....

Your girlfriend would have had to do something drastic to have affected it.

The Wheat Beer kit is pretty plain tasting alright, but many wheat beers are.

I like the taste of it, its light and refreshing.

Using wheat malt doesn't really change the flavor either, it just gives it a smooother feel and creamier head.

I'm with Matty and Adam on this. Its probably the yeast. I haven't noticed much of a difference between using normal malt and wheat malt, so i doubt its because of your LDM.

Out of curiosity, what commercial beer do you associate with the Wheat taste that you were expecting?

Hi Miguel

If you want a Franziskaner or Paulaner wheat beer - Hefeweizen - then you really need to try the proper hefeweizen yeasts. These beers are ALL about the yeast. Hefe = yeast in German.

As I posted earlier, read my entries in the post about Weihenstephaner, they also make the wheat beer (and are the oldest brewery in the world). You can get the yeast that's named after them Wyeast 3068

I definitely recommend to try that next time [love]

Archived