Coopers Community

Mis-timed Brew enhancer

KurtN

The Cooper's DIY brewing is very easy, but I still managed to make a mistake making the Australian Pale Ale. I added two liters of hot water to the contents of the can concentrate, but forgot to add the brew enhancer until after I added water to make 23 liters. At that point, I mixed it up, then added the yeast. There was quite a bit of sediment that quickly settled at the bottom. I'm not sure if that's normal. Is there any hope for this batch?

Hey kurt im sure as long as the temperature of the brew is stable around 20 or so i would just mix it up again. Its early days so mixing it a few times a day if need be until it settles in and yeast should start to chomp through the sugars being the BE2.

Good luck mate ive done many silly things like this most of the time it comes through just have patience.

Have you done any brews before? about a centermeter or 2 of sediment on bottom is normal if around that i wouldnt stress so much. In saying that sanitising a mixing spoon and quickly stiring and replacing lid at this stage should be fine.

well i guess im outvoted i have done this many times and stirred in early stages just after piching yeast and never had a problem The same as lordeoin and not using sanitiser just personal choice. But yes the yeast will eventually find it.

Depending on when you stir it, it can add some unwanted oxygen to your beer which then can give it off flavours like wet cardboard.

Leave it be, the brew enhancer will slowly dissolve into the wort and the yeast will eat it as they did before.

The only downside is that you wont have an accurate alcohol percentage as the OG would be wrong as the ingredients didn't get mixed correctly.

Good news is it wont affect the taste or the actual of your beer.

Depending on when you stir it, it can add some unwanted oxygen to your beer which then can give it off flavours like wet cardboard.

Leave it be, the brew enhancer will slowly dissolve into the wort and the yeast will eat it as they did before.

The only downside is that you wont have an accurate alcohol percentage as the OG would be wrong as the ingredients didn't get mixed correctly.

Good news is it wont affect the taste or the actual of your beer.

Also, it will be bigger than 23 litres if you put it up there before adding the BE. Might get an extra bottle out of it, but your alcohol level will be slightly lower.

Archived