Coopers Community

GASSING WARM KEGS??

Doc

has anyone had any success in gassing warm kegs? I had a fridge in the garage I only used to gas my kegs, but the minister for war and finance has reclaimed it.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what p.s.i. & for how long

everything i have read or heard is the beer has to be cold to accept the gas

roflmao. :lol:

um i have a beer fridge with two taps on it but only two kegs fit in it and as i have 6 kegs and i like to have coopers dark ale and coopers blonde on tap at all times its inconceivable to take one beer off line to gas up a keg. this is where the second fridge was handy in the garage. :D

although the minister for war and finance is laughing her behind off ( she`s got plenty there so thats all fine) she thinks a miracle box sounds good.

now back to my question. is it possible.

thanks

A "miracle box" is an esky like device designed to chill the beer between keg and tap. Open the lid to find a flat metal plate which acts as a heat exchanger...put ice on top of the metal plate...hook your gas up to the keg, your keg up to the miracle box and the miracle box to your gun/tap.

As the beer passes through the metal plate in the miracle box it should be chilled to serving temperature.

I have had success with placing the keg in a bucket of ice...only the bottom of the keg is chilled. Have only tried this method with naturally conditioned kegs.

• 3 months later...

Doc,

I'm only new to the club and you\x92ve probably solved the problem but the beer will accept the gas up to about 18C. I used to gas mine at around 12 to 14C at 300Kpa for 42hrs and that came out just right.

Maybe you can help me, I\x92ve setup a fridge now can you tell me the Temp. Pressure and time needed?

Cheers :)

JB

thanks JB

I rack my brew through the dip tube with an out connect and hose to the tap on my fermenter. then straight to the fridge, burp the keg, set it to 44 p.s.i. (300 kpa methinks) & leave it for 48 hrs.

then i just back the regulator off place a bucket under the tap & pull off about a pint, pint & a 1/2 at full pressure which pulls any sediment from the bottom of the keg.

dump excess pressure to serving pressure (5 to 10 p.s.i) and happy daze till keg is empty

oops i have a thermometer at the bottom of my fridge which usually sits at 1 to 0 deg.

i try not to let it go below 0 as i am worried about freezing the top of the keg

I did simular, 300Kpa, 2degs for 36hrs drop the pressure to 70Kpa and it is vary heady and the only way I can get it out is to use a jug and wait for it to settle. The beers good but I like pouring it straight into the glass as I did before.

I\x92ve found a Carbonation chart on one of the kegging sites which states that I should for 2degs use 70Kpa it doesn\x92t say the length of time to leave it but it says it may take many days and that it will come out at 2.5 volumes CO2 which is the standard gassing (I think) :? .

Cheers

JB

I believe you are right, it is time for another beer :D .

JB i had some drama "getting it right" 44p.s.i for 48 hrs no shaking, rocking, or moving the keg works for me. :D

the length of your beer line should be 2 mtrs minimum i think

my first couple of glasses each day sometimes takes 2 or 3 pulls to wait for the head to settle but are fine after that

also i have 2 different types of beer line on both taps. and one will pull a great beer then i connected the other tap to the same keg & using the same glass pulled a very frothy beer, so it could be your line?

Archived