Coopers Community

Hopping Queries

PhilboBaggins

Hi folks.

I just mentioned on another thread how much difficulty I'm having getting aroma and flavour into darker style beers, and thought what the hell, I might start a topic.

My regular hopping aditions are one of the following:

10g @ 15min

10g @ 5min

10g @ 0min

20g dry on day 3

OR

15g @ 15min

15g @ 5min

20g dry on day 3

Using Fuggles or EKG in an English Bitter should give at least some kind of result right? I'm only getting very mild differences and they're fading the older the beers get, which brings me to my question about dry hopping.

I'm adding my dry hops loose to the FV on day 3. Now usually on day 3 I still have masses of foam on top. Is this a problem for the hops when theyre trying to make their way into the beer? Should I be waiting until the Krausen dies off and disregarding the whole "dry hop on day 3" rule?

BTW, my pale ales have been to die for, with loads of hop character, I'd just like to know how to get my darker styles to pack a bit more punch. [love]

Many thanks, beer lords.

Hey phil i have noticed something similar with my brews in regards to flavour and aroma.

I usually add 20 grams at 10 mins for flavour and 25 to 30 grams dry hop.

With the EKG and fuggles i also discovered have to add a bit more than usual but with something like Amarillo 30 grams is more than enough. Then again my ESB i used Wyeast LOndon Ale 1028 which finished very dry overpowering everything.

Are you using kit yeast or Specialty ones? many factors to look at if need be just add more hops good luck mate [happy]

I usually just use the kit yeast. I've only used a specialty yeast once, and I'm waiting to try it to decide for myself if it's worth it for my particular tastes.

Might just start hopping the crap out of the darker ones[wink]. Thanks for the reply Jim.

I am intregued to see that you stick to a hop schedule. Do you not think that the AA% can make a big difference from one beer to the next. i.e. if you hop with SAAZ then next time hop with Centennial there is a massive difference this will make to the outcome given Centennial has about 3.5 times more AA% than SAAZ.

How long are you brewing for?... if your brews take 2+ weeks then I suggest dry hopping when the Krausen collapses or closer to day 5. If brewing for 2 weeks and at day 5 you dry hop then that gives you 9 days to infuse which should be plenty of time.

I'm just thinking that maybe you are throwing your hops in too early when there is a lot of action still happening.

Hi Bill. I haven't been using hops for very long, but thought that the AA% was mainly indicative of bitterness? Since I am only after flavour and aroma I'd been kind of disregarding it.

Are you or anyone else able to shed some light on what these mean for flavour, and how much to adjust amounts and boiling times for max flavour and aroma based on the AA%?

As for time in the FV, I agree, I've been chucking them in too early. Mine are usually in the FV for about 10-14 days, so I'll leave it til later this time.

Cheers for the advice on the flowers too Yob, I reckon I can get some from Beer Belly.

Hi Bill. I haven't been using hops for very long, but thought that the AA% was mainly indicative of bitterness? Since I am only after flavour and aroma I'd been kind of disregarding it.

Are you or anyone else able to shed some light on what these mean for flavour, and how much to adjust amounts and boiling times for max flavour and aroma based on the AA%?

Yeah mate, you are virtually correct. In simplified terms, the AA% mainly concerns the bitterness. However, it doesn't matter when you put your hops in the boil, you will always extract some bitterness. Just need to work out how much at what times. Ianh's spreadsheet is very useful for this. Sorry I haven't the time to give the link to it at the moment but I am sure you're likely to have it anyway. play around with it and see what variations you can come up with. It is worth while even just to justify the costs for your hops.

Here is a graph that will provide you estimated boil times etc...

hop_utilization.jpg

Archived