Coopers Community

Sparkling Ale brew yeast conked out?

Soundawake

Hey all

On wednesday night I put down a standard Sparkling Ale kit, using a vial of Whitelabs WLP-009 Australian Ale yeast.

Everything went ok for the first 24 hours healthy krausen etc.

I checked on it this morning, and to my surprise the krausen had completely dissipated! No bubbles at all. It looks like cordial!

I took a reading and it came up 1.032. So obviously not finished yet. Someone on Aussie Home Brewer forums said not to worry, but I've never had a brew's krausen completely go away unless it finished or stopped fermenting... The vial was close to its best before date, and I didn't make a starter, so maybe I underpitched?

What should I do? Brew temp is 19 degrees, by the way.

Start of fermentation -

16b934cc.jpg

1424a29e.jpg

How it is now -

7bc14258.jpg

45b13460.jpg

The krausen looked really good its only a few days into fermenting so take another hydrometer reading tomorrow that should be able to tell you if the yeast has conked out i had a freak out with my second brew but i thought the yeast conked out but it didn't so just use the hydrometer tomorrow to gage if it is still fermenting

Just took a reading, it came up saying 1.020. So all seems good.

The remaining vial of yeast I have is nearing its best before date so I'll make a 1 litre starter with it for the next brew.

Need to work out what to brew next!

Archived