Coopers Community

Reculturing Sparkling Ale Yeast

DamianM2

Hi.

I would like to reculture some Coopers yeast for the Sparkling Ale kit I just bought.

I have a carton on Sparkling Ale stubbies on hand as this is my favourite beer. I understand that you are better off reculturing from Pale Ale but what results should I expect from reculturing Sparkling Ale?

Am I just better off getting some Pale Ale tallies?

Thanks,

Damian.

Sparkling Ale should work but be prepared for failure just in case. Make sure you get plenty of dregs from bottles that have been chilled upright and not disturbed for a week or more.

Pale ale should have more viable yeast as it is lower alcohol and "generally" younger than sparkling ale when you buy it.

Having said all that I generally buy some Pale Ale when I want to reculture the yeast. I love sparkling ale but don't like the pale so I usually just tip it out or give it to my wife [innocent]

Thanks Muddy.

I am not a big fan of Pale Ale either, I find it bland, whereas Sparkling Ale I savour every drop.

A local bottle shop has Pale Ale at 3 for $14 so maybe I'll give it a go.

Damian

...well I am not a big fan of Pale Ale either' date=' but I hope you are joking Muddy when you say you tip it out! I have certainly drank a lot of worse beers than Pale Ale![/quote']

I hear you rossm im sure everyone has drank VB at least once [biggrin]

Archived