Coopers Community

Using a chest freezer as fermentor...?

RyanP4

Have been considering getting a chest freezer as to have 3 fermenters going at once, would hooking a temperature control unit up to the freezer with a probe into the wort be sufficient to keep it around 10-18 degrees? Looking at brewing lagers and pilsners soon, so thought this might be a viable option, also considering it's a freezer, it would be more efficient at cooling down quickly as opposed to a fridges compressor unit.

A problem I have considered that I might have is that there is only 1 probe and multiple fermenters.. So the freezer might turn on due to one being too hot and the other is already colder due to being in a different stage of fermentation therefore having different amounts of yeast activity producing heat. Another is that the freezer might be TOO efficient and cool down the air insider the freezer compared to the liquid in the fermenters, creating a super cold surface area on the outside of the fermenters with the bulk liquid staying at a hotter temperature causing the freezer to keep getting colder and colder.. similar to how the top of a cup of water will always freeze due to air cooling quicker than the surface area of the liquid. I was also considering this option as a kegging setup later on, changing it between a keg setup and using it as a fermenter during the downtime between beers.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

I use the freezer method and I have my controller set to 17 for ales, this keeps my wort during fermentation within the 18-20 range. I dont put the probe in the wort and have never had a problem. You can do as you suggest or even have the probe against the fermenter with some form of insulation over the top of it but that only really works for single fermentation vessels.

I find I have to stand my fermenters on polystyrene to insulate it from the walls and floors and my freezer does fill with co2 and it does condensate.

Its a great set-up, I can ferment 3 vessels, condition 2 kegs, carbonate my brews and still have room for more beer related stuff. Its also doubles as a table in the garage and is a great height for racking beer :) and when you need to drop the temp of a brew before pitching, stick it in the freezer and turn her up full blast for 30mins [wink]

I cannot imagine brewing without mine anymore

Exactly the reply I needed. Do you use the regular plastic kegs for fermenting or different ones to optimize the freezer space. Also, how many litres in your chest freezer/what are the dimensions?

Cheers,

Exactly the reply I needed. Do you use the regular plastic kegs for fermenting or different ones to optimize the freezer space. Also, how many litres in your chest freezer/what are the dimensions?

Cheers,

I use a variety of fermentation vessels all plastic, my bottles are all glass and my kegs st.st.

I will have to answer your question about size when I get home from work [bandit]

Hey Ryan,

I've also recently got myself a chest freezer with a thermostat connected through the power cable and it works perfectly.

I must admit its fantastic, the temp remains constant the entire time, sits exactly where I need it to be and keeps any bugs, fruit fly's etc away.

I was also concerned about whether the probe would pick up ambient temp instead of wort temp etc but at the end of teh day I think its worrying about nothing. In time everythign in the freezer should reach the same temp. I have the probe hanging down the middle of the freezer p against the side of the FV and my temp remains perfect. I set it to roughly 19-12C (its an analogue thermostat) and I have both the 18 and the 20C temps highlighted so thats good enough for me.

Any concerns I had about the stick on thermometer picking up ambient temp are surely unfounded as in theory it would happen anywhere, even if it was outside or in room temp.

I also tested it with water at 10C for a few days for lagers and again, had no problems with the readings I was given on the stick on thermostat. Go for it, you'll love it!!

The only reason I dont use Chestys is the lifting,

They are better on energy efficiency but worse on condensation and cleaning...

pro's and cons to both sides..

Chesty's for Kegging, Double fridges for Brewing IMO

Yob

Hi Yob,

Yes I must admit the lifting is a mission, especially I have to carry the full FV down some kitchen stairs, out into the laundry and into the freezer which I try do in one swoop.

I did notice the condensation and was wondering if this causes any potential problems, I would imagine not but still checking. Is this worse in the freezer than a fidge? I would have thought it'd be the same seeing as it is basically the same thing at the end of the day, a temp controlled insulated box.

Also does he freezer filling with CO2 affect the fementation at all? I know it at least keeps the wort clean and oxygen free but thre is no residual oxygen needed for anythign during the process is there? I can leave the freezer closed for 12 days and not be concerned over anything?

Archived