Coopers Community

Coopers pale ale smells like rotten eggs

Hi everyone I have made a coopers pale ale with be2 and 500g of LDM and also 30 G of cascade hops I boiled for 15 mins however on day 4 i noticed it smells like rotten egg is this normal or sign of infection I used the yeast that came with the kit which is a lager and ale yeast combined just want to know me brew is ok or not cheers Wayne

One of the most powerful tools you have for picking up infections is your tongue...

How does it taste? Does it look strange? Growing a pellicle?

We often freak out over things we shouldnt.

How long into fermentation? Did you change anything from your normal routine?

Sulphuric smells are often given off ny later yeast amd will dissipate with time.

If you dont like this aspect, switch to a specialty yeast.

Yob

[roll]

Hi everyone I have made a coopers pale ale with be2 and 500g of LDM and also 30 G of cascade hops I boiled for 15 mins however on day 4 i noticed it smells like rotten egg is this normal or sign of infection I used the yeast that came with the kit which is a lager and ale yeast combined just want to know me brew is ok or not cheers Wayne

That smell is pretty normal for lager yeast. I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't panic Wayne.

I doubt you did anything wrong and I am confident the smell will dissapate before bottling. I have used this kit a number of times and the same thing happened last month when I made the Irish Red Ale. It was a very strong smell, filling the entire room, for 4 of the first 5 days. However when I kegged it, after 12 days, the smell was totally gone.

(I pitched the yeast at 22'C and fermented at 19, 17, 18 & 17'C during those days that the smell was present).

Thanks guys for the replies only thing i did differently this time was use star san for sanitizing however temps have been around 19 - 20 degree's and pitched the yeast at 23 degree's i will take a hydrometer reading in the next couple of days and give it a taste test see what it tastes like its only on day 5 of fermentation still have a week and a bit to go before bottling so we see what it tastes like in a couple of days cheers again

Archived