Coopers Community

How do you know if your brew is infected?

TylorM

Im new at this my first batch turnrd out great i used 1can of draught and white sugar used PET bottles and carbonation drops.My second batch i used draught with golden syrup and brew enhancer 2 bottled in glass bottles with carbonation drops im about a dozen beers into it and probaly 4 outa 12 have been flat they taste off and dont seem to consistant from bottle to bottle any help would be great.

I am guessing you haven't got the bottles clean enough! About the only reason you will get a different fault in individual bottles, pretty much has to be the cleanliness of the bottles. The rubbery substance is something I have encountered from bottles not being cleaned properly as well. The other problem you may get is overcarbonation which can lead to exploding bottles or at best volcanic eruptions on opening. The only thing I can put the flat beer down to is bottles missed when priming or perhaps caps not properly crimped on.

PS.

The overcarbonation can be caused by gunk left in the bottle causing it to start fermenting again in the bottle!

Archived