Coopers Community

Ginger Beer

Otto Von Blotto

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about the Ginger Beer kit, I put one on for Dad last Friday, just by the instructions on the can (for once), so the can of goop mixed with 1kg of raw sugar, topped up to 19 litres. What should the gravity be on that? When I measured the OG I got about 1.025/6, but the temp was a bit high at the time. Got the temp down within a few hours, it's been fermenting away, checked the gravity again just before and it's around 1.015/6, was hoping to bottle it on Saturday so I can put another brew of mine on.. but wondering if it's a bit high? I've never done a ginger beer so not really sure what sort of FG to expect.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Hi everyone,

.... the can of goop mixed with 1kg of raw sugar, topped up to 19 litres. What should the gravity be on that? ..... checked the gravity again just before and it's around 1.015/6, was hoping to bottle it on Saturday so I can put another brew of mine on.. but wondering if it's a bit high? I've never done a ginger beer so not really sure what sort of FG to expect.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey

Got my notes out. The fermentation process for me was as slow as a wet week, 21 days. However I pitched at 23'C and fermented at 18'C. My OG was 1.027 and the FG was 1.003. This is what I expected as I tested the SG of a non alcoholic GB and it measured 1.005.

Dont know if this helps but my Ginger Beer as per the recipe ( 1 kg Brown Sugar ) took 13 days to ferment and ended up with a FG 1004.

I did read somewhere that raw sugar takes longer to ferment. Anyhow 6 weeks on and its very nice.[happy]

Archived